1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphics card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cheekyhalfling, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheekyhalfling

Cheekyhalfling Thread Starter

Hi im looking to upgrade my current graphics as it struggles to run metro 2033 on minimum settings.

Packard Bell ixtreme M5722
    2.50 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q8300
    6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

if someone could recommend a card that will fit my system and needs no messing about to get fitted id be greatful! ive been looking for hours but im just getting more and more confused with things like "Two 6-pin PCI Express® supplementary power connectors -or- One 6-pin PCI Express® and two 4-pin peripheral supplementary power connectors ". ive opened my pc noticed theres only one graphics slot so means no sli which was what i was looking into lol. Im really stuck i dont want to end up spending £150 on something i cant use. btw my budget will be around £150. please help me find something.

2. Cheekyhalfling

no one willing to led me some advice?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to be patient, you posted after midnight for the majority of the board users and bumped again only 2 hours later.

What is the wattage and amps on the +12 volt rails(s) of your power supply? You'll likely have to open up the case and read the sticker off it. Depending on the wattage/amperage of the PSU that may limit what you can buy without upgrading the PSU.

4. Cheekyhalfling

350 watt i think it is which im certain needs upgrading due to the pc being a gaming pc from pcworld. they never sell what they offer hence needing a new graphics card for an aparant high ended gaming pc lol. only had it 5 months aswell.

by the way i didnt bump after 2 hours. its 11:42am from my orginal post not pm. thanks for the reply was beginning to think no one was going to help seeing my post drift further and further down lol. Because i am so inexperianced i was thinking of taking my pc somewhere and seeing how much it would cost to upgrade but i dont even know where to start looking for such a place.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So then youll need a new power supply for any non basic video card then.

Metro 2033 requires a pretty hefty video card, minimum is a 8800 GT or GT220 - not sure how that works since the 8800GT is more powerful then the GT220 by a large margin. Recommended is GTX 260 or Radeon HD 4870 X2, and Optimal is a GTX 470 or GTX 480. Seems Nvidia is the preferred vendor. http://support.thq.com/thq/consumer...3=&TotalResults=258&submitbutton=Go&match=and

So if you went with a Geforce GTX 460 you should have really good performance but itll take the full budget: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...R5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=40860

You still need a new power supply for the video card such as this Corsair 550 watt: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...es+550W+ATX2.2++Power+Supply+?productId=29383

So you would need to increase your budget.

6. Cheekyhalfling

thanks, what about this pin its on about? when i opened my pc up only thing i found was what i was guessing is one 4pin socket. ill just have to spread it all out over a couple months and get the parts one at a time lol.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean pins? You need to replace the power supply, the new power supply should have all the connectors you need for the system and video card.

8. Cheekyhalfling

i mean on the graphics card, on the bfg website under specs for the card it says "Two 6-pin PCI Express® supplementary power connectors -or- One 6-pin PCI Express® and two 4-pin peripheral supplementary power connectors " thats one part that is confusing me.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ah, ok the video card uses two 6 pin power connectors from the power supply . If you only have one 6pin then you have to use two 4 pin power connector with the two 4 pin to one 6 pin Y cable. The Corsair has 1 x 6 pin connector and 1 x 8 pin connector that two pins disconnect from to give you a second 6 pin connector. So your fine either way.

10. Cheekyhalfling

thank you so much for your help, i better get saving up my pennies :p.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Good luck (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice