1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: graphics driver problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christadwani, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christadwani

christadwani Thread Starter

here's my story
    i had a pc with old standard VGA graphics graphics adapter (version 6.1)
    so i installed drivermax a program for updating drivers
    i downloaded the newest version and installed it after the reboot
    the screen went black
    "windows loads all programs load after it's all done the screen turns black as if it was off"
    is it a fixable problem??

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" is what is displayed when the proper driver for the graphics card is not installed.

DriverMax broke your computer, there's a shocker. Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode and run a System Restore prior to installing DriverMax?

It's best to identify your hardware and install drivers manually rather then rely on these programs. Do you known what graphics card or integrated graphics is in your computer? Can you run the TSG System Information Tool and fill in your Computer Specs?

3. christadwani

yes it works fine in safe mode
    i'll work on that but how can i tell what drivers are right for me ?

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    To get the correct and proper drivers for you computer go to the website of who made the computer such as dell, hp, acer, etc and look under support drivers and downloads.

5. christadwani

well the problem is that if i do this (Windows key+R then i run dxdiag and open driectx in the display tab it says that i have standard vga graphics adapter
    what should i do?
    PS: i managed to restore the system and i'm back on standard vga graphics adapter 6.1

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Uninstall the graphics driver in Safe Mode then.

Hard to tell you what driver you need as you haven't told us anything about the computer you have. If the system is an OEM system than tell us the make and model; ie. Dell Inspiron 1421. If its a custom built system check your receipts or open up the computer and if the graphics is a dedicated card, remove it and check for a model number on it. If its part of the motherboard then tell us the motherboard model that's printed on it.

7. christadwani

well what do you need to know

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This:

9. christadwani

Acer Aspire Desktop T650
    running on windows 7 OS
    i went to the acer website and found the drivers but they're for xp
    and i'm not sure if it makes a difference
    what should i do next ?

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If theres no drivers for windows 7 its going to make a big difference.its not going to run right.if no drivers for windows 7 can be found for your model its going to be a lesson in futility to find them. your only option might be is to go back to xp if thats what the computer came with originally. always do a check to see if a computer can even run windows 7.not all can because either more ram is needed or as you found out theres no drivers for 7.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should return the computer to Windows XP as that's what the system its best suited for. Even AMD does not have Windows 7 drivers for that chipset/GPU, they do have Vista drivers that may or may not work.

12. christadwani

so let's say i don't go back to xp
    should i still update the drivers?

13. Simba7

Simba7

Usually, Vista drivers will work. I'll dig through the internet for drivers and chipset information.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    All operating systems need drivers, they either have drivers built in that work or they require drivers from the hardware manufacturer, and even if they have drivers included in the O/S the manufacturer's driver may have additional features or bug fixes.

While the system can be made to work with Windows 7, it has a single core Celeron or Pentium 4, and came with 512MB or 1GB of RAM, with a maximum upgradable amount to 2GB and that AMD Xpress 200 chipset was pretty lousy and performance on Windows XP wasn't even that great.

15. christadwani

i tried installing the driver from device manager and i'll see if it works
    Edit
    i didn't find vista drivers only xp

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice