1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphics problem, monitor or graphics card ??

Discussion in 'Games' started by compnovice, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compnovice

compnovice Thread Starter

Friends,

Lately I have been having graphics problems in games. There are these " artifacts", wierd shapes, triangles, ect that appear and "shot" through my screen. it is hard to explain what it looks like, except that it is NOT normal.

It is hard to say when these appeared. I have recently got a different monitor. It is not new. It is a Dell CRT monitor. I replaced 1 CRT with another because I am cheap :rolleyes: .

I have the latest drivers, I think, for my graphics card ( GeForce 5700 LE ). Not great , but not terrible. I play the games with either low or medium settings. I ran a benchmark test that was terrible.

Any ideas as to weather it is the card or monitor?

2. Sponsor

3. compnovice

Here is a ghastly screenshot. Look near that big rock

Attached Files:

4. Bad Whippet

Bad Whippet

I don't think it's your monitor, so the next bit is to ascertain whether it's an overheating component...

(1) From the screenshot, it looks to me more like a driver/software problem than overheating, but if this has only happened of late, and you have the latest drivers, then it's best to check for overheating as the next possible cause...

(2) Download and install the freeware tool Everest Home Edition and run it. This neat tool provides all sorts of temperature readings (not just the graphics card GPU).

(3) Run Everest, selecting 'Computer', then 'Sensor'. After a moment, you should see a range of temperature settings for CPU, GPU (the graphics card), motherboard, hard disks and overall case temperatures. Take note of the GPU temperature especially. Leave Everest running in the background.

(4) Load up your game and play as normal. As soon as the graphics problems begin, minimise the game to desktop and take a look at the temperature settings - especially GPU. If things are looking hot (my guess is early to mid 80 degrees for GPU), then open your case and blow away all the fluff and dust, and ensure all case vents are adequately ventilated. Tie up neatly any heaps of cable that might be blocking case airflow from front to back. You might need to add new case fans too. I managed to drop my GPU temperature by some 12 degrees by clearing an air flow, though it still runs hot in some games like Need For Speed (46 degrees idle, high 75-78 degrees when a particularly intense 3D game is running).

5. compnovice

*I had been concerned about cooling for some time. So I cleaned out my case good, blew out the dust, reseated the GPU heatsink/fan unit with new thermal compound, and installed 2 new fans.

* I had Everest for some time. Although for temperature, it only give me CPU and Motherboard. Not GPU.
    >>Motherboard 165 F
    >> CPU 66 F

* I also have "SPeedfan 4.32 " installed. It give my 3 temps, but also doesn't tell me what temp is for what piece of hardware.
    >>Temp 1 = 84 F
    >> Temp 2= 165 F
    >> Temp 3= 68 F

I'm gonna try switching out for an older GPU and see if that makes a difference.

6. Bad Whippet

Bad Whippet

Ah! I think whether the GPU temp is available or not in Everest depends on the chip type and whether the graphics driver can read the temperature too...

I'm looking at your temperatures in comparison to mine. At idle, mine are:

Motherboard 29C (84F)
    CPUs 37C (99F) each
    GPU 46C (117F)
    Hard disks 32C (90F)

Under stress, the GPU increases into the high 70Cs, and once in a while creeps to the 80 mark, but the other temperatures barely change and all is stable. Your CPU temp is far lower than mine and, if the mysterious 84F happens to be your GPU, then that means it's running at a very low 29C and I'm now overheating with jealousy!!! :D

So the only bit of your system that IS giving a hot reading is your motherboard temperature, which at 165F is more than twice mine. I imagine that's most likely as a result of a generally hot case rather than any failing component though. Small cases are notorious for this. I recall reading though that some ABit motherboards used to give false temperature readings...

So, I think I'd be inclined to try running your PC with its case open to see if that makes a marked difference on the motherboard temperature, and if so, try running the game with the case open to see if that makes any difference. If so, the overall temperature of the closed case is probably too hot.

7. compnovice

Thanks for ALL your input and suggestions.
    It turns out it was an overheating problem on the graphics card.
    I sent it back to BFG , the manufacturer, and they just didn't replace it, THEY UPGRADED IT !
    Now I have a NEW GeForce 6600 ! There were no questions asked. I didn't have to prove where, when I bought it, submit a blood test, prove citizenship or anything. The whole process took 1 week.
    I am so happy.
    This new card has it's own power and monitors it's own temp. It will slow it's self down if thing get too hot. Now it is between 66-70 C.

I think this happened because I changed the circulation of the fans in the case.
    I wanted the air to flow IN the front of the case and OUT the back.
    The problem was that my graphics card sits nearer to the back of the case. So when I changed the direction of the air flow, it started overheating. Now my air flows in the back and out the front.

I think we can consider this a HAPPY ENDING.

Thanks again for all your help !

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice