1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Grinding whir

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plysne, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

I have a Gateway with XP running on it. It is three years old. About once an hour all of a sudden I will hear this whirring noise that will over the next 15-20 seconds sound like it is slowing down and getting lower in pitch and then will just suddenly dissapears. It doesn't interfere with any activity I am working on. Totally random if I am doing anything or the desktop is up in resting state. Sounding like rotational noise I thought for sure it was my hard disk, but just replaced with new (no change). I have both cd drives open and empty and a blank disk in zip drive. Thats all that I can think of that is rotational. Must be something else that would growl back. Open for any ideas before it shuts down competely and I have not located the source. Taking all ideas! Thanks

2. happyrck

happyrck

something getting in / against fan ?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, with a three year old machine, I'd suspect that it's one of the fan's sleeve bearings dying.

Take the outer case off the machine, and when you hear the sound, try to localize which fan it's coming from. Replacement is the next step. :)

4. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

John, see reply to you on my external drive boot problem. Paul

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!