1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: grub boot edit

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jrbuergel, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I have Windows XP installed on the internal IDE drive alone, and then I put Ubuntu 7.10 onto my external SATA hard drive. I then resized the windows main C partition and installed the newest PCLinuxOS next to XP in newly created partitions on that internal hard drive, and it did make a new GRUB boot menu, but did not include Ubuntu on the list. Since I did print out the original /boot/grub/menu.lst file from Ubuntu, how can I add the correct line of boot information for Ubuntu 7.10, so that I can select to boot up either Linux from either the internal or the external drives?

2. saikee

saikee

As easy as ABC.

You external hard disk will be looked upon as the 2nd disk by Grub and Ubuntu's Grub will be in its first partition known as (hd1,0) to Grub, mening the 1st partition of the 2nd disk, as Grub counts from zero.

Just add these line to PCLinuxOS's /boot/grub/menu.lst

Code:
    title Ubuntu in (hd1,0)
    root (hd1,0)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    The above instruction asks Grub to treat (hd1,0) as the root partition and fire up the Ubuntu's /boot/grub/menu.lst. Nothing to it.

Alternatively you can restire Ubuntu's Grub inside the root partition and do it by chainloading. When you see PCLinuxOS booting menu just press "esc" key and to change the graphic to text screen. At the text screen press "c" to drop youself into a Grub prompt. At Grub prompt these instruction retore Grub "inside" the root partition.
    Code:
    root (hd1,0)
    setup (hd1,0)
    Thereafter you can fire up Ubuntu, either manually whenever you are in a Grub prompt or by adding the PCLinuxOS's menu.lst by the commands
    Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]title Ubuntu in (hd1,0) booted by chainloading[/COLOR]
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    [COLOR="Blue"]boot[/COLOR]
    You can omit the first line if booting from the Grub prompt. The last line can be omitted if booting with menu.lst.

3. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Will that result in a 2nd GRUB boot menu when selecting Ubuntu from the PCLinuxOS grub list, or can I just add in Ubuntu? Also if I just re-install Ubuntu 7.10 into the same partitions onto my external SATA drive, then it should add itself to the main GRUB boot menu list, right?

4. saikee

saikee

If you allow the PCLinuxOS to arrange it then you boot Ubuntu directly without going through its menu.lst. The latter is to boot Ubuntu indirectly.

If you update Ubuntu the newer version will appear in Ubuntu's own menu.lst.

To boot Ubuntu directly with PCLinuxOS you just copy and paste the booting entry of Ubuntu's menu.lst into PCLinuxOS menu.lst.

You can arrange Ubuntu to be booted directly and indirectly "simultaneously". Every Ext2/3 partition has its first sector reserved permanently as the boot sector. If you put Grub there, by setup command, it only occupies its rightful place. In other word you can have 10 Linux and every one can hold its own boot loader. To boot one boot loader with another is to boot the OS indirectly. In Grub it is known as chainloading and Lilo does it too. That is exactly how every MS Windows is booted by a Linux. There is no PC system in existence that cannot be booted indirectly so it is actually a better and easier method to learn and use.

5. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    This issue is fixed by copy and paste the exact Ubuntu Linux grub items listed in the menu.lst file, accessed from booted into my other Linux, (PCLinuxOS), into the active current GRUB, and thanks for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice