1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: GTS 250 Pixelation in Full Screen Applications

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freegem, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

My video card is a GeForce GTS 250. The rest of my specs are attached below.

When I run games in "Full Screen" mode the picture is terribly pixelated. When I run these same games in "Windowed (Full Screen)" mode the picture is perfectly fine. On rare occasions I can randomly adjust the in game video options and eventually the pixelation will go away as long as I do not minimize or exit the game. The same video options never work twice to get rid of the pixelation. For example, one time changing the resolution worked and one time changing the refresh rate worked, but following those same steps doesn't work consistently.

I sometimes use a remote desktop app (Splashtop) for my iPad to connect to my desktop and run these games. When I do this the picture is perfectly fine on the iPad (even in "Full Screen" mode), but still pixelated on the desktop. When I take screenshots of the pixelated screen, the screenshots show no pixelation, but instead a perfectly good looking screen.

My monitor is a 40 inch Sony Bravia EX400 TV. My video card is connected to the TV by a DVI-HDMI cable.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been having this problem for quite some time now and I just recently started messing with it again.

Attached below is a CPU-Z report with my full specs along with two pictures taken of my screen using a camera. One picture is in "Full Screen" mode and the other picture is in "Windowed (Full Screen)" mode. You can see a noticeable difference in the pixelation, but it is hard to really see the severity from these pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Neither picture looks great. What is the screen resolution you have the PC and game(s) set too? It must a be a widescreen resolution that is compatible with the TV; for example 1920x1080 or 1280x720. Also, many TV's come with a PC input, and this one is no exception, you may have much better results using the standard VGA cable with the PC input on the TV.

3. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

The pictures were taken with an iPhone so yea they aren't the best hehe. The resolution of both the game and the video card are set to 1920x1080.

Up until today I didn't have a way to connect to that VGA port on the tv, but I borrowed a friends adapter and the problem seems to have disappeared.

It seems that the resolution has not suffered at all as a result of using the VGA port rather than the HDMI port. How can the VGA port display just as well as the HDMI? I'm wondering why I payed $30 for the DVI-HDMI cable lol

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well for one you overpaid for the cable, but in reality VGA does just fine for standard resolutions and the TV is designed to accept a PC input in that manner.

5. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

I think the cable was so expensive because of its length.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm glad to have this issue resolved after all this time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!