1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: GTX580 fan speed control?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Foxy_Uk, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I just installed my new GTX580 and would like to know how to set fan profiles for general internet browsing and gaming as they are constantly at 100% and noisy, I don't mind while gaming because I wear my headset but my missus is stressing me out when she watches TV in the same room. Basically, I would like to lower the fan speeds when not gaming but not sure how to do this. I have the GPU Tweak Utility installed and can manually slide the fan percentage bars but one reverts back to 100% when I click APPLY. I am then asked to BURN but not sure what this means.
    I also have MSI Afterburner but the option to move the fan slider is greyed out.
    Thanks.

Look forward to any replies.

Paul.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I always used to use NTune for NVidia cards, seems to have all the options I needed, no idea if it still applies to newer cards as I haven't used it recently.

3. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

Thanks for your swift reply but I would rather use the software that came with the GFX card.

4. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

When I click on either AUTO or MANUAL, I get the option the SAVE, I then choose a profile number to assign it to followed by the option to BURN. What does BURN do?
    Nothing that I do is reducing the fan speeds and I believe this will damage my expensive gfx card prematurely!
    Please, please can someone show me an easy walk-through on how to lower the fans speeds?

Thank you.

[​IMG]

5. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

SORTED.

After posting on numerous forums I have now been told what the situation is. There is a big red button on the gfx card that enables the fans to run at 100% constantly, all I had to do was press and Hey Presto !!!!

Why oh why don't these components come with full instructions? Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help me out. Its very much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice