1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: half-life 2 game of the year HELP

Discussion in 'Games' started by PrivatePC, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

I order half-life2 goty and i insall. It says i have to put in a product key, but i could not find the key in the case. I am really mad...:mad:

2. McTimson

McTimson

Keep looking...

Check on the box, on the jewel cases, on the CD, in the manual, etc. If you bought it from a legit reseller, then it's there somewhere.

3. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

there is nothing in the case but the CDs

4. McTimson

McTimson

Where did you buy it from?

5. Ferendon

Ferendon

There should be a quick reference card in the case. Keyboard layout on one side, QRG and product key on the other. At least that's how mine is. My Orange Box is the same way.

6. Zbrakkovich

Zbrakkovich

Another thing to add is that I know whenever I put my valve games on Vista and even though I have all of my keys, the only way I could play them was by:
    installing Steam
    logining into the account I registered the games with
    allowing it to download all the updates​
    Did you ever at any point register the games previously? I would assume that since you can't find your key that you've had the game and just lost the key. If worse comes to worse, you could try to look for a no-disk crack, but I won't go into any further detail on that since I have no idea whether or not your product was obtained legally.

7. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

I bought the game on Amazon.com and got it used for 13.00, i just odered another one on teuesday.

8. DeBug

DeBug

Maybe that person who sold you this product forgot to put the product key into the case.

Try to ask him about key. ;)

9. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

If you buy this game used, it will not play! The game must log onto the game developer's network and verify that your key is unused. If your key has already been used, they will not give you another one! (They will, however, give you the run around. They will also pit you against their crappy web "help" system.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Thats what some one said on a game review. If that statement is true and am going to be pissed, and so is my mom.......

10. DeBug

DeBug

Sorry but It was just a suggestion. I didn't knew that you'd bought it new. :(

11. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

dude.... i did buy it used..... thats the bad news that i hope i dont have to deal with when i get the game.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Don't buy "used" PC games. I guess at this point you already know that though. Every steam game I have ever bought is listed in my steam account and can even be downloaded if I have lost the disc. ;)

I have a feeling that is why you didn't get the credentials to run the game. The guy who sold you the disc is still running it......(on his steam account).

You lost out but you learned something. :(

13. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Yea, i know i just figured that out. And im not reseting my cd-key that will take for ever. I cant get half-life 2 game of th year edition new because it cost like $66 and i cant affored that. I might just go to a game store and see if thay have Counter-Strike source.

14. McTimson

McTimson

You can buy individual games on Steam, it's the best way to do it. You don't have to worry about your CD key being stolen or anything, and you're getting it right from the source. Used PC games usually aren't a good investment, it's not like console games where you can just pop in a disc and play, there's more involved than that.

And,you should follow the rule that applies to most things in life - if it sounds too good to be true ($13 for a $66 game), then it probably is!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/684697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice