1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Half Life 2: lost coast & other updates

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1_rob_1, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Does anyone know whether steam & hl2 updates can be downloaded from anywhere as executables. because quite often I change my vid card or reformat my system & I get quite fed up of waiting for everything to update. (even with broadband it takes over an hour)
    I HATE STEAM!!! :mad:

Also has anyone any info about other downloads from steam, like 'Lost Coast' or 'Codename Gordon' Are they an add ons, seperate games, on/offline games, full versions, etc.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Lost Coast was basically the Pilot for Halflife 2, where they were testing HDR and models to get a feel for the Source engine. Its has the option of turning commentary on and off. It is single player.

As far as being able to download updates not from steam, no it isn't possible. If it were I couldn't post about it anyway. As Steam is the only way to legally obtain updates etc legally (Its in the EULA).

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Ah well, I'll just have to put up with the long downloads from steam then.

Thanks for your help

4. dragjack

dragjack

you always have the option of backing up the game files on a DVD though. That way you can put them back in the hard drive once you're ready. That's what I did. Also made a copy of all the Steam/valve folders on DVD and when I put them back in the drive I edited a file on the root folder to point to the new letter of hard drive.
    Once you've done all that log on to Steam and if there are any updates it will download them, if not, then you can just get gaming. Not sure if that's a legal procedure or not, but I've purchased all my HL/HL2/Counterstrike/Day Of Defeat games either online via Steam or at my local GAME shop. Never had a problem with that method. Just make sure you remember your login name and password!! :)

5. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Hl2 tends to install itself around the vid card, so does this work if you change the graphics card?

6. dragjack

dragjack

yes it does! I did this backup process when I changed graphics card. I only had to download a single update after I restored the files. I think, however, it would depend on what graphics card you are upgrading to. I moved from an NvidiaFX5200 to an Nvidia6800, so maybe the unified drivers played a part there? :confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice