1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Half-life 2 offline?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rollin' Rog, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog Thread Starter

I just spent over two hours installing HL2, product activation, the whole 9 yards.

Now I'm looking at a 5 hour download time on a dialup connection while it updates itself even though I am trying to play it offline.

Is this normal? Have I missed some part of the install? I see no specific option for offline mode.

edit well the thing finally finished up after about an 1hr 15 and I got into the game.

BUT, it is still launching a Steam connection when I start it. Is this really necessary?

2. SirAbcde

SirAbcde

Alright... What you need to do is get all the files and updates for Half Life 2.. Once you do that.. All you need to do is make sure that when you log in, you 'Remember my account settings' on the login screen for Steam... After that you shouldnt need to be online to play HL2...

For more reading see:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_4.html

3. Rollin' Rog

Thanks, the update did complete. And when restarting without a connection a "play in offline mode" prompt does appear. I just don't want this coming up every restart so I will be disabling the automatic startup. I'm going to assume that prompt will also be there when I run Steam manually.

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

5. Rollin' Rog

The problem is resolved without any need for cracks. It's just a sllight inconvenience.

6. SirAbcde

SirAbcde

Yeah.. I know how that goes.. steam always wants to start when windows does... and If you do load steam manually w/o internet connection.. it will prompt you for it...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/403496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice