1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: half life 2 problem with flashing white boxes

Discussion in 'Games' started by gfm72, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gfm72

gfm72 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I continued to have loading problems with Half Life 2 using my WinXP OS but since I have a dual booting PC with 2 operating systems I switched to my WIN98 OS and succeeded in loading Half Life 2 as a single player game in off-line mode. So, I now have Half Life 2 running on my PC with WIN98 OS but I contantly see small white flashing boxes appearing during game play of Half Life 2. Any ideas what the problem is?

PC system specs: dual booting PC, Pentium 4 (2.0 GHz), MSI 845 Ultra-AR motherboard, 512 MB of RAM (pc2100), ATI Radeon 8500 LE 128 MB video card, Win98 on the 10 GB hard drive, and WinXP pro on the 120 GB hard drive.

2. brite750

brite750

As a guess i would say your gfx card doesn't support the game very well. does that card support DX9?, my son can run the demo with an FX5200 just fine on medium settings.

3. brite750

brite750

See if there are settings for running game in directX8, your card is dx8.1 it says in the decription.

4. gfm72

gfm72 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I did find a more recent driver (for Win98) for my ATI Radeon 8500 LE video card and now the small white boxes in Half Life 2 are gone and the graphics looks better as the game is running. As mentioned before, I switched from my WinXP Pro OS on the 120 GB hard drive to the Win98 OS on my 10 GB hard drive since I have a dual booting operating system PC. I was having real problems to get Half Life 2 to run on WinXP Pro and would probably had to install a new driver and AVP driver software for that problem. It runs on Win98 now. But there is just one last problem to solve and Half Life 2 is functioning completely fine for me. I have only part of the Chapter One level working for Half Life 2. After I leave the main square in Chapter One and climb the fire escape then enter a smaller square; I then enter a hallway and the game tries to load more of the game (it states loading) but just kicks me out to a screen that states "Half Life 2" with options for a new game or to load a saved game but does not continue loading more of the game I was into. In other words, it doesn't load more of the game it just exits the game after this short time in Chapter One. I am totally uncertain what to do with this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for all of the help in the past.

My PC stats; Pentium 4 (2.0 GHz), MSI 845 Ultra motherboard, 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 8500 LE video card, dual booting; 10 GB hard drive (with Win98 OS) and 120 GB hard drive (with WinXP Pro OS) --Half Life 2 in running on the 10 GB hard drive with Win98.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/310523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice