1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Half Life 2 steam problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by reaper616, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reaper616

reaper616 Thread Starter

I habe recently installed Half-Life 2 and completed the game, and now i want to go online and multiplay LAN and internet, but my steam will not detect my half-life 2 installation, i think it has something to do with the fact that it dosen't appear in the add/remove program, can someone help me in either adding it to the list or make steam detect it.

Help would be greatly appreciated...

P.S - Yes i am using my own orignal version of Half Life 2, and i have tried re-installing Half Life 2 and Steam and even making a new steam account.

Oh and i go to my steam account try to register game enter my CD-Key and then it tells me to intall the game before registering when i have..

Thanks again...

2. McTimson

McTimson

First, HL2 does not show up in the add/remove programs list.

Second, making a new account won't help because once you register HL2 for the first time, it is locked to the account that it's installed under. If you want to play it under a different account, you would have to buy another copy of the game.

Now, it sounds like you either deleted some files, or changed some registry settings to make Steam think that you don't have it installed. So what I would do is:

Uninstall both HL2 and Steam (Make sure you remember your Steam account and password!)

Download and install the latest version of Steam from www.steampowered.com

Now, install HL2, either from the CD, or by letting Steam download it. As long as you're logged into the account that you first registered HL2 with, it should be able to do either just fine. Then, let it download any updates it needs to, and you should be good to go.

3. reaper616

reaper616 Thread Starter

I have already done that sorry if i forgot to mention and i did use my first ever steam account to do that...

4. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

i hate steam. try loging on to your old account. HL2 should be registered there and will start downloading. or try to use your old CD key to download a new copy off of steampowered.com. sorry i don't know too much about steam, i hate the software.

5. reaper616

reaper616 Thread Starter

Lol, thats ok and so do i...

I have it all sorted out now guys thanks for your help you've been great :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice