1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Half Life: Counter Strike not working

Discussion in 'Games' started by mattb19us, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattb19us

mattb19us Thread Starter

Here's my problem:
    I just threw down $40 on the Half-Life Platinum pack, only to find out that I can't play it online. I installed all of the games, and all the single players work okay. I updated all of them with the Sierra AutoUpdate. The Counter Strike would not update. I can't find the 1.0.0.0. to 1.0.0.3 patch anywhere and the autoupdate can't find it either. but when i try to play Team Fortress or Blue Shift or any of the games online it tells me that my Half Life executable is out of date, and it opens up the update utility. The update utility runs and tells me that I'm up to date. How do I make the game realize that it is up to date? Do I need Steam?? Please say no. I hate that program. I do not want to pay any sort of monthly membership to play online.
    Thanks.

2. Interstate

Interstate

I would say get steam as that's the central place for their games.

You don't pay for steam or its services. All you pay for are the games and expansion packs. :confused:

3. mattb19us

mattb19us Thread Starter

Really, I thought that you had to pay. I installed it a while back, and before I even got to play, it did something to my game that corrupted it. But I'll give it another try. Thanks.

4. Interstate

Interstate

Umm, I've had it installed since christmas; never entered a credit card number, never been billed, never had anything bad with it.

5. mattb19us

mattb19us Thread Starter

I just installed it and I'm trying to play CS. I can see all the servers, but whenever I go to connect to one it either loads the map or downloads it, and then freezes, then it times out. Every server I've tried does this. ?????

6. Shairel

Shairel

CS only works with steam, has been that way for a while. Start your own server to see if you can get into an empty board with no other players, if you can it's likely the fact that the map downloads are too large

7. mattb19us

mattb19us Thread Starter

Thanks, I got it working, though only a handful of servers will let me play. I've tried about 15 or 20, and been able to join 3. My one complaint, is there a way to respawn? Might sound like a newbie question, but I was killed almost as soon as I loaded the map, and I had to just sit there and watch teammates play.

8. Interstate

Interstate

That's how it works, you die, you have to wait until your team completes the objective or gets killed. Just wait.

9. Shairel

Shairel

yes, you only have one life per full turn. This makes it very difficult for newbie players to get started, but just keep at it ( if you can tolerate the culture of the game, which is why I don't play anymore )

10. mattb19us

mattb19us Thread Starter

All right. I'll keep at it. Thanks a lot.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/336669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice