Solved: Halo 2 on Windows Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Saki

I recently bought Halo 2 for Windows Vista, and I can't get it to work at all. I tried installing it, but it wouldn't work, so I uninstalled it tried to reinstall, but it even attempt to install. Whenever I put in the CD, I get the error message "Files are missing or damaged in the installation directory. Some important files required to run this game are missing in the installation directory."

I have no idea where to go from here. I went through my computer's programs list, and there's nothing Halo-related there, but I still can't get my computer to make an attempt at installing the game. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

If the message says that "Files are missing or damaged in the installation directory. Some important files required to run this game are missing in the installation directory."

then it could be files are missing, so they are unable to install? Have you try other computers as well?

If same message exist again, I would contact the store or manufacture. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Saki

I'm not sure; I guess that's possible, but I don't see how the files could just disappear from the CD. Also, the first time I tried installing it, it at least worked well enough to give me the game's menu. I'd try it on another computer if I could, but none of my friends have Windows Vista, and this version of the game was specifically made for Vista.

My thought is its your cd drive, theres one mistake many people make with this, You need a DVD Drive, if you got one, check the hook ups, if there right, then it could be the drive itself. I had the same problem with Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword. My dvd was messed up and couldnt read sections of the cd so it popped up the error.

Saki

For clarification: Yeah, I meant the DVD disc. I somehow managed to get the game installed yesterday, so now it'll at least start up, but now I get this message:

Your computer's graphics hardware information:

Video memory: 64 Megabytes (128 or higher required)
Supported pixel shader version: 2 (2 or higher required)
Supported vertex shader version: 2 (2 or higher required)

Halo 2 for Windows Vista is designed for computers running Microsoft Windows Vista with an overall Windows Experience Index of 5 or higher.
Obviously I need better video memory for the game to work; even I'm not computer illiterate enough to wonder about that. My question is, is there a way to improve my video memory?

you can get it higher with some cards by overclocking it...but thats not smart. You can get a new video card like a NVidia or ATI Card, make sure its over the minimum requirements though...256 video memory should be fine enough to run it on normal video settings

and gamerbyron...he said he installed it...so the answer to whether or not he has a DVD Drive should be obvious...

Saki

(*Is actually a she*)

How do I know if a graphics card will work with my computer? Also, once I get a said graphics card, how do I go about installing it? After looking over this page, I don't really think I'm up to doing it myself; I'm far too paranoid to go around messing with the inner workings of my computer. Would a computer repair person do something like that, and if so, does anyone know how much it would cost?

Saki

I passed in everything except the video card, which said:

Minimum: DX9 graphics card: WDDM driver, PS 2.0/32BPP, At least nVidia 6000 or ATI x700 or above
You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Controller 0 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) () FAIL: Sorry, your video card does not meet this minimum requirement.
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , You have - 68.0 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 2.0
CPU:
You Have: 2 processors running - Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHz

CPU Speed
Minimum: 2 GHz
You Have: 1.73 GHz Performance Rated at 2.98 GHz
RAM:

Minimum: 1 GB
You Have: 1013.5 MB

Couriant

James
Well of course it would not meet the requirements... its an onboard video. Lousy for gaming. And judging by your other specs, is this a notebook?

It will work for halo 2, but your video card does need upgraded bad inorder to play.

The minimum requirements for the video card is a GeForce 6000 or ATI x700 (More specific: DX10 graphics card: WDDM driver, PS 2.0/32BPP), but i would go about 3 - 4 cards higher or even more if you can afford it.

And i would upgrade your RAM to 1.5 or 2gb, since the minimum requirements is for the minimum graphics game play...which really sucks

Hope this helps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online