1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hangs usually when online

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sturoc1, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sturoc1

sturoc1 Thread Starter

XP latest updates etc.,
    Pent D 3.2ghz w/ 2 gb ram MSI mb with onboard video ( no external car installed)

Lately, as in the last 4 months, when online using Firefox upon switching to another tab or opening a new tab or site the PC hangs. I can jump over to open up a folder or doc but then I cannot close it as it overlaps the prev windows.
    I have to go into Task Manager to end the Firefox process to free everything up again.
    At this point all the clicks I had done will engage and 'catch up'.

Not sure if this is a FF issue or some setting within XP etc.
    Tsk Mgr shows a 50% usage on both Firefox and System idle during the hangs.
    Pagin file or Virt mem usage is no where near the max. limit.

My HDD with the OS is booting with an F1 command to continue to boot i.e Seems like it is on it's way out.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Yes, could be nearing the end with the HD. I wonder if there will be a meltdown in the next few years of P4 age PC hard drives.

Have you tired another browser?

Just a tip...I recommend ProcessLasso (freeware) for older P4 PCs, especially. It's really serious IT style optimization for Windows, and it will take the edge off cursor jumps and page hangs. I put it on my father's 1.7 GHz P4 Compaq, and I was like whoa. I have it on my newer core2duo now too...smoother performance.

I wonder if your RAM could be going? I think Memtest is free to check your RAM.

3. sturoc1

sturoc1 Thread Starter

All good points, and I have considered them for sure.
    Will do the Mem test tonight I think it takes hours to run.

I'll ck out the ProcessLasso cause I am gettin fed up with FF and the old themes which were awesome but those developers are not updating them any more so they become incompatible with latest FF updates.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

I explained that in a confusing way. Apologies sturoc1. Process Lasso isn't a browser. It's a full scale run time optimizer...sort of like the RAM boosters (in principle) that used to be around and like the gameboosters that are around today.

Optimization is for real. The native Windows version is slow as hell to adjust to user tendencies, so this is a big boost. Just try it...you'll see...it's serious software the developer has created, and he's very committed to the project. I'm constantly getting updates. They don't require a restart, even of the program. That's one nice thing...

5. sturoc1

sturoc1 Thread Starter

Got it now I was wondering bout that when I started to ck it out, seeing others talk of it too.
    thanks for the info.
    BTW: I shut off some of AVAST real time shields thinking it might have been a scan thing but nothing has changed. Seems to be only when making a move within FF like: to a different tab or site etc.
    Processes only show system idle and FF as % usage , no other prog or apps are running.

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Check and post
    TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links
    ------
    Download Security Check by screen317
    http://screen317.spywareinfoforum.org/
    Save it to your Desktop.

Double click the install icon.
    A command Prompt window will open.
    Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
    It should now open in Notepad - and will save a log called checkup.txt.
    Post the result of the scan here.
    ------
    Click Start button > run > type
    cmd

A Command Prompt Window will open.
    At the flashing >
    Type
    tasklist

Press Enter on the keyboard.
    Let it load processes.
    Then click on C:\ at the top left of the command window.
    Edit - select all - edit - copy.
    Paste the list in your next reply.
    ------
    Process Lasso - I'm not sure it is a program that I'd recommend.
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/internals-and-architecture/the-memory-optimization-hoax
    An old post but still applies today.
    It is best to let Windows manage the Ram installed.
    Right Click My Computer > Advanced > Performance.
    Tick - Let Windows choose what's best for my computer.
    Apply - Ok.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Have you tested Firefox while running it with all add-ons disabled?

How to Run Firefox Without Add-ons (Safe Mode)

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

hey bluesharp

Respectfully disagree in the case of some of today's optimizers. The best ones offer another layer of optimization to what exists natively in Windows. None of them them that I have ever run across change a single thing about the optimization found in Windows. You still get that if you add ProcessLasso or a good game booster.

It's experience, yes, but my experience is that the Windows optimization routines are very slow to adapt themselves to user tendencies. All things absolutely PERFECT and under extremely heavy usage, I would say that it takes 5 years of use in XP for Windows to deliver optimal performance. That's if you rely on just a handfull of programs and don't change the system at all. Not much experience with 7 and none with Vista, but I can say that the first time I turned on 7, I could tell that the optimization routines had not been updated. Honestly, I don't think they're much different than they were in 95, even in 7.

Process Lasso and some of the game optimizers I've tried over the last couple of years add a layer of optimization to that present in Windows. For any P4 (for ANY honestly) machine these optimizers are OUTSTANDING. I recommend testing for yourself. Heck, many of them are free and well trusted programs.

In the case of my father's 1.7 GHz P4 1 GB RAM Compaq, the change was astonishing when I added ProcessLasso to that little PC. I went on to add a game optimizer...yep a game optimizer, and with both of them running, his use is seamless now on the internet. I set them to run on start up, and now pages don't catch during scrolling, pointer doesn't lag. Also, programs open, close, and minimize in a snap. Even boots are better without surprises and catches and bumps. Much smoother performance. I'm not even mentioning my machine. It's a core2duo machine with 4 GB RAM, and performance is so much better, I can't help but wonder why everyone doesn't use these programs.

I get the skepticism. It goes way back to the "RAM booster" days. Honestly, there wasn't any serious optimization boost in any of those. But today, there are a handfull of optimizers that really do the job and at a bare minimum on system resources. I couldn't/wouldn't even think of going back to clunkerville.

If you change your system ever (even if you don't) I recommend trying ProcessLasso. Making an effort to understand how it improves performance helps, too...

Just to be clear, an optimization routine for a modern operating system would be how it manages system functions and system resources during multi-tasking...

9. AtlBo

AtlBo

stuoc1...just set to open on boot and forget it with ProcessLasso. I have the gaming mode turned on, even though I rarely game. You may like to try it that way. It doesn't affect system resources much at all to do so, and I find performance of all programs in Windows is even better with the addition of the gaming mode than with just the ProBalance enabled (Main tab)...

10. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The above is duly noted.
    I have used many optimizing programs going back to the Win 98 days and I would not recommend any of them.

But we have to consider what is the best advice that can be given on an open Pc forum.
    And the advice that is consistently given here, is not to use any optimizers, registry cleaner type programs etc.

What we may use on our Pc is one thing - but what we suggest here has to be safe and effective programs, that will help in improving the running of a members Pc.

11. valis

valis Moderator

more than welcome to disagree. :)

However, there are a LOT of people on this site who have fixed either their own rigs or dozens of other rigs that have been bricked by 'optimizers'.

Here's a good read by fellow moderator Elvandil:

12. AtlBo

AtlBo

Elvandil..

Thanks for that information. I wouldn't recommend cleaning a registry either, The prominent cleaners scare the daylights out of me. I have one of them, but I only use it to remove temporary internet files.

Just for the record...if you get a chance, check out ProcessLasso. Google around, etc. It's not a use %50 of my system resources program. It's uses just a fraction on %1 to be there in the system tray. What it does, the best I can tell, is use the Windows optimization routine and then just add a level to the MS way.

Don't think so with cleaners, but I think optimizers might lose their stigma with serious PC techs with ProcessLasso and programs like GBoost around. Yes, you can tell GBoost to turn off a process, but none of them are critical, and you do have the final say on what's turned off. Anyway, that's not where the real gains are. It's in the boost to the functionality of your PC during multi-tasking. GBoost is designed with one thing in mind...your game runs faster. But a game is practically a multi-task by itself. As a result, a good game booster ends up adding the same sort of benefit at no cost almost. GBoost uses less than %1 resources, too.

I recommend giving them a try. They are safe clean downloads when downloaded from the developer's page. I don't like to pump things up really, but this c2duo machine is running on all levels and in all phases better using good optimizer software...

13. valis

valis Moderator

I already have checked it out......as far as my rigs go, either xp, w7, or any other flavor, I've never used the things, and have never had any performance issues that I couldn't fix myself without using an optimizer of ANY sort.

14. AtlBo

AtlBo

I understand valis. I just would say that I don't have any to fix anymore. Running these two, I am satisfied with the performance I am getting from programs in XP on this machine. It's just not phony to add less than a percent of system resources used to get much better performance from the Windows based user experience.

It's like typing 2^2. It's better than just two, but if I just change the number to 2^5, it's a much better number. The good optimizers help Windows take more processes seriously. Honestly, MS should have thought of it themselves...

JMO

15. SilverSurf

SilverSurf

Hello All

How about someone sorting out the original posters question?

Regards SilverSurf

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice