1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Disc problem detection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asuss06, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

Im suddenly getting a window that says that "Windows detected a hard disc problem". then is instructing me to do a backup right away, which im doing right now.
    my acer laptop, running wondows 7 is less than a year old, so my question is could this detection of a problem be a misread? is there a test or a fix? i checked the drive for errors twice and nothing came up. is there something i can check to verify this before i call 911 and scream?
    thanks

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is windows saying your main Hard drive has a problem?

3. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

its not giving me any more info other than "Windows detected a hard disc problem" then instructs me to back everything up, shut off the computer and contact the manufacturer immediately.
    ive run every possible disc error checking possible and its saying that everything is fine

4. Megabite

Megabite

Was it Windows (MS) or a Acer agent that gives you the message.

First I would check the Hard drive go to the link below at the top of the page click on Downloads.

Then choose SeaTools for Windows select your Operating system ...download to your desktop...run and install it.

Then do a Basic test on the main Hard drive.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's also many viruses/malware that display false messages like this too.

6. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

im running HD Tune Pro right now and on the "health" status, it says, "Reallocated Sector Count has failed" & "error! Threshold reached. Replacing the hard drive is recommended". yet, im doing a full error scan right now (its 3/4's done) and so far everything is fine.
    ill download the seagate program and let you know what it says...

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't bother doing more tests, the hard drive is on it's way out. Complete a back up and order a new one unless you still have warranty on the laptop which you should if its less then a year old.

8. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

yeah, i think youre right and why take chances...
    thanks for everything.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice