1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Disk Error After Installing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModernME, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ModernME

ModernME Thread Starter

I'm having an issue with my hard drive in terms of dual booting.

I am trying to install a copy of Windows XP/Windows Longhorn onto a 1TB hard drive that was removed from a Western Digital My Book. The first portions of setup complete themselves, but when I try to run Windows from the hard drive, all I get is this:

Verifying DMI Pool Data........
    Disk Read Error
    Press Ctrl + Alt + el to restart your system

(Yes, I am aware of the missing D... that's exactly how it prints onto the screen.)

Then, I reboot and then I get this:

Verifying DMI Pool Data........
    :)_
    INSERT A SYSTEM DISK AND THEN PRESS ENTER

I keep trying to run Setup over and over again, deleting and creating partitions, formating the drive several times, and tried to install from a different hard drive.

What's going on and how can I fix this?

Please note:
    • I am dual-booting via two separate hard drives. One is from the manufacturer of the computer and the other is from Western Digital.
    • I have an Acer Aspire T180 that runs Windows 8.1 Preview.
    • The drive is 1TB.
    • I specifically have Setup install onto the Western Digital drive.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you verified the boot order is correct in the BIOS/UEFI? Does it work if you disconnect the second hard drive and reinstall?

Also, what do you mean by you "tried installing from a different hard drive"? Are you not installing Windows XP from the Windows XP CD?

3. Frozwire

Frozwire

You can try to write zeros on the WD hard drive first using WD Lifeguard Tool before you install OS to that hard drive.

4. ModernME

ModernME Thread Starter

As it turns out, the MBR was messed up, so I had to go and fix that. Thanks for the input.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1130045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice