Solved: Hard Disk Installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Iceblade7

I should give you a background on this:

Hard drive is from another system with the same OS which I installed via the system management tools.

Motherboard fried (power outage) on my one system and I am trying to use the D drive from that system on my main system as it has 120mg storage which I need for some projects.

I installed the drive as the Master on the Secondary IDE channel and it shows up in the Bios correctly and also shows up in the system management tools (administrative tools in the control panel) under
Computer management/Storage/Disk management. It shows up as Disk 2 out of 3 (disk 0, disk1, disk2) and it has a drive letter assigned and is active.

I can also access the files that are on that drive via those tools....

However my issue is that I cant seem to get the drive to show up in My Computer.

What is wrong here?

Iceblade7

Great call!

Yep, Symantec Systemworks has a proggy it uses called Goback, I do recall using it on that system once then didnt like it and uninstalled, this probably did modify the boot block of the drive, guess I got to find a program to modify it back to its original without corrupting it, of just say WTF and format the drive.

That problem rang a bell; I remembered reading that KB article while researching another issue for someone else who posted here, so I bookmarked it just in case.

Judging from your post, you didn't seem to need any hand-holding, which is why I only posted the link; glad to see we hit the bullseye.

If I can offer some suggestions... the first will cost you some money, but I've used it and recommend it as long as the drive is not experiencing mechanical problems. You can install GetDataBack, from Runtime.org. GDB is available for both FAT32 and NTFS drives, and works as advertised (read EVERYTHING about what GDB can do for you on the website BEFORE you decide to try it):

http://www.runtime.org

GDB has bailed me out when I thought my data was doomed, but it can't do miracles with drives that are physically failing. Yours doesn't seem to have a physical problem, so GDB is probably the ideal product for your situation. Using it is simple enough if you read the instructions on the website first; best of all, you can download and use it without paying a dime in advance. That way, you will already know what files it can retrieve for you. If you decide to use it, you only have to pay for the activation code and type it in; there is no need to run the program a second time AFTER you enter the code. You can simply run GDB, check the list of files it can recover, pay for the code online to activate it immediately, and finish the job. I've done it that way, and can't complain about the results.

Read this thread for another perspective on using GDB...

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/422264-transfering-data-drive-lost-partition-new-one.html

As you can see, GDB can't help everyone...

If you don't want to spend the money for a product like GDB, you can try this method, though, as with using GDB, there are no guarantees...

First, copy EYERYTHING you need from that drive, so that your data is safely backed up, since you currently have access to it through XP. Then, when you're POSITIVE the data is safe, install the HDD as Primary Master in a DIFFERENT system, with no other HDDs installed. Make SURE the CMOS detects the drive; if the parameters are WRONG in the CMOS, do NOT proceed with this.

IF the CMOS properly detects the drive (Primary Master, correct size in GB, etc.), boot from the XP CD, and use the CLI tools to try to repair the drive. First, run the FIXBOOT command, then reinstall the HDD in the main system to see if it is accessible via Disk Management (the same way you use it now), AND to see if it is displayed by both Windows Explorer and My Computer. If the drive is fully visible, you're probably in the clear.

If you can't see the drive in Explorer or My Computer after using FIXBOOT, move the HDD back to the other system, reboot with the XP CD, and run the FIXMBR command. Then, swap it back to the main system again to check Explorer and My Computer. Using that method just might correct the problems you have without wiping the drive; once your essential data is backed up, you can try this without risking too much.

OTOH, if worst comes to worst, your data will be safe elsewhere, and you'll know you did what you could with the tools available to you. You'll probably need to wipe the drive and start over...

Merry Christmas and good luck with this; let us know how it all turns out. :D

Iceblade7

Cool, thanks for the info. I actually have a Ghost backup of everything on the system, just wanted to figure a way of getting the drives MBR back to normal, however since the motherboard on the system I took these drives from is toast, (dang power outages anyway)(even have a UPS and it was still taken out, go figure) I will just remove my drives from my current system and do a complete reinstall (I use the same hardware on both systems luckily), do the fixMBR if needed and reformat/partition these drives anyway since my needs for that computer has changed. Thanks for the info on that proggy, will check it out.

Good Evening Gentlemen, nothing more satisfying than losing Symantic stuff!
The only thing is that a lot of those programs have a sting in their tail!

An alternative idea, (in that you can see the drive ok) is to use this Puppy Linux I am using, it can see stuff on drives and does allow copying from them.
A learning curve is involved (about one hour) but it is an interesting overall exercise.
I have used it a couple of times in anger now. The operating system loads into memory with its programs and runs from there. (no hard drive required)

Hot here Sammy, I am melting, 36 degs c today maybe higher tomorrow.
Howsit there.
Cheers, qldit.

Iceblade7:

Seems to me you've got a good handle on the situation; check out these links if you're looking for some cool programs:

http://www.madboot.com/ ; download the floppy program and take it for a test drive. I think you'll be amazed at how handy the MADBOOT floppy disk can be. You can hose a harddrive with GDISK, zero-fill any drive, shell out to DOS... lots of good features accessible from the GUI.

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ ; Homepage for Puppy Linux; every tech should have it handy on a CD for emergencies...

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/download/downpage.htm ; You can download Puppy Linux from there (60 MB .ISO file). qldit is the resident expert on using Puppy; I'm a slow learner, but Puppy has already earned a place in my toolkit right next to the MADBOOT floppies and my Knoppix-STD CDs.

Good luck with this; let us know how things turn out.

qldit:

Merry Christmas to you and yours, qldit! I've been goofing around with Puppy Linux on occasion, and did another experiment this morning.

I've been digging through a pile of old harddrives, trying to salvage a few for systems I am building to donate to local families. I just used MADBOOT to zero-fill a WD 40GB drive overnight (took about 15 hours), then tried to load Puppy onto the system. Xwindow couldn't load, so I was left at the command line. I then used FDISK (via MADBOOT) to create an 8GB FAT32 partition (which I made active), and rebooted with Puppy. Even though Puppy couldn't store my system settings (US QWERTY keyboard, 1024 x 768 x 16 resolution), because I hadn't even formatted the HDD, it loaded anyway. I then tried to play a CD-R with about 250MB of .MP3 files on it, but Puppy decided it didn't like the disk for some reason, and refused to cooperate.

I have no complaints about the weather here; I prefer to complain about the fact that I FORGOT TO BUY BEER before the weekend! Can you imagine a beerless Christmas? Bachelorhood ain't what it used to be when you're so sick, busy, and distracted that you forget to buy BEER!

Fortunately, I have a good stock of spirits in the house, so being sick isn't the worst thing that has happened to me recently, even though I have no beer.

Stay in the shade, think cool thoughts, and don't be surprised if I end up installing Puppy permanently. Got to go; my arthritic knees are torturing me, so I have to move around for a while before they get any worse.

Best to you, Mrs. qldit, and all the little qldits you have running around there.

Sam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online