1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Disk Problems - Win98 SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Crowfoot, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crowfoot

Crowfoot Guest Thread Starter

Hello Techguys andTechgals:

I hope I can impose upon you once again for your valuable assistance in finding a solution to my Hard Drive (4.2GB) problems. I've tried many things to try to resolve the problem so my explanation is fairly lengthy for which I apologize in advance.

My problems started on 3/18/08 when my Sytem locked up with the following:

"While initializing device VKD: Windows protection error: Y". I had installed a new monitor but never downloaded any drivers as it is working just fine and I'm unsure if this had anything to do with the problem.

I rebooted and ran Scandisk which solve the VKD problem but gave me another error message:

"Data errorwhen reading FAT entry for cluster8192. Scandisk cannot fix this drive."

I rebooted again and received this while booting up:

"General failure reading drive C:"

I used the emergency boot disk and rescanned from DOS which got past this problem, but whan I booted back into normal mode my computer locked up with the following error message:

"Invalid page default in module SHLWAPI.DLL"

At this point I was "dead in the water" so to speak. Scandisk always locks up and crashes the system after surface scanning 62,878 clusters. I extracted and overwrote the SHLWAPI.DLL file from the Win 98 cdrom o/s disk but the SHLWAPI.DLL problem would not go away.

A friend of mine had upgraded the RAM from 64MB to 256MB's a few days earlier and the system was working fine. I downloaded some software to check the RAM itself and there is no problem with the RAM itself. (I was thinking possibly he inadvertently damaged the drive with a static electricity shock but this is pure speculation on my part.)

Also, a few years ago I had a Smitfrad virus that Techguys helped me resolve that played havoc on the hard drive leaving numerous bad sector indications which at the time may or may not have been false positives as a result of this virus. I have received the occasional disk errors over the years, but Scandisk repaired them all up until now.

So, my buddy came over again and installed an old 2GB drive on the computer in addition to the original 4.2GB drive: ie.) Dual Drives. With this I was able to get up and running again and can now access the old drive files without problems.

I have run the AVG virus scan I have installed and several online scans including Panda and withe the exception of a few minor cookie files they came back clean. As well, Igot some diagnostic software from the Manufacturer's website (Samsung) and the drive "Failed" their Hard Drive Test, but didn't elaborate on the nature of the problem and recommended I do a low-level format of the drive and try again. I didn't try the reformat as I still have lots of stuff on the old drive that I wasn't able to transfer to the 2GB drive which is now full as a result of files transferred to it from the 4.2GB drive.

So, basically I'm "down to the short straws" so to speak. I have seldom gone near the Registry and have never used any Registry repair or cleaning utilities due to their dubious value in solving problems. But, as a last ditch effort, I thought I'd try one of these utilities before I reformat and lose the rest of my files.

So, I'm hoping you can recommend a "reliable" Registry tool that I might try to rule out the possibility that this is a registry problem. (If there is such an utility!)

As well, could you please suggest any other alternatives to Scandisk that I might try to repair the hard drive, which, by the way is quite old (Samsung SV0432A.)

While I'm here (and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section of the Forum to find out); but when I transferred the MY Briefcase Folder from drive D: to DriveC:, I am unable to open either of these Folders. Can you suggest a way to unlock this folder as I believe it has something to do with the date and time settings having to be the same on both drives before they can be opened. I am unable to determine the date and time settings on the slave Drive D:.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to any assistance you may be able to provide.

Kind Regards,

Crowfoot.

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

From the error messages and the troubleshooting steps tried, including the HDD manufacturer tools, it may be impossible to repair.

I would suggest you copy as much data and documents as you can and get a new HDD.

Even if you manage to get it running again, sooner rather than later, it will fail again and you will be back at the same point.

Zee

P.S.
    Posting your email address is a huge mistake.

3. Crowfoot

Hello Zee,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it appears to be on it's last legs and I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to upgrading but I'd still like to see if I can fix this drive to exhaust all possibilities. Yes, I do have access to another Hard Drive and I can purchase one at relatively low cost but I don't know if they would be compatable with this system. Does it matter what kind of Hard Drive I install???

Still, I'd really like to know if there are any othe repair utilities I might try?

PS: I tried editing out my email address from my original post. If it didn't work can you edit it out from there?

Thanks,

Crowfoot.

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

5. Crowfoot

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's really not much that can be done. Some utilities claim to be able to "fix" bad clusters on a drive (like HDD Regererator), but once the physical surface of the drive is compromized (or the electronics fail), the drive is pretty much dead. Those utilities try to make the bad clusters readable again and then unmark them as being "bad", but they are still bad and come back sooner rather than later to haunt you.

Don't ever rely on that drive again.

There are no registry repair programs that either work at all or can be relied upon. Most are just "cleaners" that risk removing needed entries. Restoring a previous registry is the only option.

7. Crowfoot

Thanks evandil,

I will follow your advise but could you answer this request I made of Zee that maybe you didn't see:

Thanks Zee,

But, do you have no comments on the Hard Drive recommendation or the My Briefcase folder problem?

Crowfoot.

8. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Regarding HDD: that can be a problem.

If the motherboard is as old as it sounds... the bios may be the next problem...

I would try a small HDD, fdisk it into small partitions, format them and confirm how the Bios sees the partitions, i.e. correctly or not.

Wondering if the cash needed won't be better used on a second hand XP box...??

Regarding the "My Briefcase", I have to check that tomorrow on a Win98 system.

Maybe someone else has a better understanding of that issue and help you.

Cheers,

Zee

9. Crowfoot

Ok Zee,

Greatly appreciate the advice and I'll leave this thread open until I hear from you tomorrow.

Yes, there are lots of older computers on the market here for relatively low cost that are far superior to my computer which will more than suit my needs. This is the route I will likely choose.

Thanks to the both of you for the outstanding service and commentary on this problem.

Best wishes,

Crowfoot.

10. Crowfoot

Hello Zee,

Any luck with my locked up My Briefcase problem?

Crowfoot.

11. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

12. Crowfoot

Well,

That Article looks pretty good but it would appear I have to buy a paid prescription to Smart Computing to read it all! Don't want to do that!

The My Briefcase Icon was either dragged or Sent To drive C: and was copied from the slave drive D: to the master C: drive ( I'm not sure which way I did this now) and this is when I suspect the synchronization problem occurred. I now have icons on both drives.

I don't know whether or not this is a clock setting issue (which I don't know how to access in drive D:) requiring the synchronization of the dates and times of both clocks on both drives. I suspect this is the problem but I'm not sure!

Crowfoot.

Nor do I know why the "Happy Face" appeared in the message text where I had placed a closing bracket, LOL.

13. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Funny I wasn't aware they required payment.

I managed to access the article again and put it on a PDF.

See attachment.

Hope that may help you.

Zee

Attached Files:

14. Crowfoot

Thanks Zee,

I appreciate your doing that for me.

I have a few other things I've got to do now but I'll give it a read a bit later and let you know how I maKe out.

Until then, hope you're having a great day and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Crowfoot.

15. Crowfoot

Zee,

You're a GENIUS!!!

That article explained exaxtly what to do to solve the opening of MY Briefcase from the Master C: drive from the Slave D: drive. For the benefit of others who may encounter a similar problem, here's what you have to do:

> Click on START
    >Go into Settings and select Control Panel
    >Click on Add/Remove Programs
    >Click on the Windows Setup Tab
    >Put a check mark in the box beside "Briefcase" by clicking on the box if it is empty
    >Click on Apply and a "My Briefcase" Icon will be created on the Desktop containing the Master C: drive.

From here you can open the files inside either Briefcase or drag and drop files from the Slave drive D: into the Master Drive C:, and vice-versa, as both Briefcases will now be accessable.

Once again thank-you very much for all of your help and I'll mark this thread solved.

All the best,

Crowfoot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice