1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Disk suddenly becomes really slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blushades, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blushades

blushades Thread Starter

Here are my specs:
    Processer - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @2.66GHz 2.67 GHz
    Memory (RAM) - 6.00 GB
    System Type - 64-bit Operating System
    Motherboard - P5Q3
    Graphics Card(s) - Powercolor Radeon 4890 / XFX Radeon 4890 (this is the second one that I have taken off now)
    Power Supply - 650W Corsair
    Hard Drives - 250gb Seagate (main drive that has windows on (C: ))/ 1.5tb Western Digital (storage drive (D: ) and the one that's really slow)
    LG DVD Drive

I'll start off with a recap of the events that happened leading to me believing that one of my hard disks is the problem.

In Short: Hard disk suddenly goes bonkers on me :(
    My computer was slowing down, added another graphics card because I didn't want to bother dealing with it. Started crashing in games so I took away the bells and whistles off my computer. Still was as slow as heck so I reinstalled windows. No luck.

Basically... Copying a 100mb file on C: is instantaneous whereas copying the same file on D: takes 15 sec (rounded on average)

In Long: Might have been an over time thing, tried to isolate the problem but to no avail.
    Installed another radeon 4890 into my computer for crossfire because my computer seemed like it was slowing down. Then, (after couple days, or so) I started noticing there were constant crashes while playing games (ie. World of Warcraft - thouhgt it was a problem here at first so I tried using its own repair tool then reinstalled it.. no luck, though I'm sure the problem isn't here). Around this time was when I finally tried restarting the computer and finding out it took about 5min to startup, much longer than it was suppose to (always slept my computer instead of shutting it down). Read up on crossfire and found out that the minimum requirement is 600W, but since my power supply is 650W, I thought it could possibly be that my power supply couldn't handle it so I took the 2nd graphics card out again (hopefully this shouldn't cause any problems to my computer). Still had crashing problems so I reformatted and reinstalled windows. This is when I realised moving/copying files in/out of my D: drive was much slower than it was suppose to at 1mb/s. Since the bootup still took about 5min to startup my computer, I completely took off my storage drive. The result was a super fast startup (like how it was suppose to be). So I put the storage drive back on, switching the SATA cables. Then I replaced both cables after waiting through a long bootup, but that didn't work so I and waited through the long bootup to get my data out of there and reformat that drive. Realised I didn't have enough memory to put the stuff I needed into my main drive, I shrunk a porton of the storage drive and tried moving everything over to that part (thinking I can install windows there on a 250gb partion and move everything back), BUT the write speeds were so slow I had to cancel the move. So to speed things up, I attempted to defragment the two drives. C: drive defragged ok, but D: drive was stuck at 1% trying to defrag one file so I stopped it.

Now, I have no idea what else to do to try and solve this problem, Anyone have any suggestions?

2. blushades

blushades Thread Starter

An update to the problem:

Got all the stuff I needed out of the drive, and ran some read & write tests on both my drives with this parkdale drive testing thing. C: drive has a r/w speed of about 80m/s while the D: drive has 8m/s.

Since there hasn't been any reply to this for a week now, I'm just going to return the drive for warranty and hope for the best.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice