1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Hard Disk won't detect 40 gb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Need advice !!

I have just replaced my 8.4 gb( seagate )hdd with a 40 gb (samsung) hdd. The replacement was due to bad sectors on my old drive.
    Now when I installed the new 40 gb drive the computer wouldn't detect it , I did jumper changes on the hdd and finally with a setting I got 32 gb. I have partitioned my hdd equally into c ' and d' respectively.

The manufacturers website gives me information ,about how on some motherboards the hdd doesn't detect more than 32 gb and they have also given a downloadable program with the help of which I can use the full 40 gb.

Now I have installed all my programs and software on my present 32 gb config and to be honest 32 gb is more than enough for my work and I am not in a frame of mind to format and reinstall everything all over again .

Now my question is that , Is there a possibility of some damage or bad sectors creeping into the balance (40 -32 ) 8 gb area which the computer doesn't detect? Since scan disk will only scan the 32 gb capacity and leave the 8 gb unattended.

Kindly elaborate and give me a detailed reply.
    my congig is

Amd k6/2 450
    asus p5ab mb
    256 mb sd ram
    hp cd writer 9700 series
    asus 50 x cd rom drive
    40 gb hdd ( oops 32 gb to be precise)

2. Borderfox

Borderfox

I had the same problem building my pc. It has to do with the jumper configuration they are in the wrong place. if you try different combinations as I did it will recognise the 40gb or 39gb formatted check out here for jumper settings

http://samsungelectronics.com/hdd/support/downloads/user_guide_02.html

hope this helps scroll down a bit on the link page I think they are your drives ....KJ

3. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

The jumpers are all very simple either you just activate the master or put it in as slave as a second drive , I have done all the mix and matches doesn't help. Is your machine an old one , as a matter of fact my hardware vendor was sceptical if this hdd would be recognised by my system, anyway it did but no luck for 40 gigs . tell me if it is ok to leave it at this.

4. RandyG

RandyG

It is ok to leave it like that, but it is a waste. The BIOS on your computer will be unable to recognise the remainder, so it will remain unused.

Updating your BIOS to the most current version might help, especially in the case of a much older (3 years or more) machine.

When you partitioned the drive, you are now left with 16 GB on C and D, yes? did you do this with fdisk, or some other partitioning software? Have you run it again, now that the partitions are in place, to see if it detects the remaining 8 GB?

L just looked at the link that Borderfox provided, and found a Samsung diagnostic tool to use. Go through that to ensure no problems with the drive itself.

I also found the following on their FAQ sheets:

32GB Capacity limitation

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You may be able to overcome this by installing a software overlay program on the drive....like EZ-Bios.

6. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

RandyG

Thanks for your early reply,
    Regarding the partition, I have used fdisk to make my partition, you are right the partition are C' drive 16 gb and the D 'drive 16 gb.

I didn't understand the part "
    Have you run it again, now that the partitions are in place, to see if it detects the remaining 8 GB?

Regarding the Bios I am a little sceptical on doing that since its quite a technical matter, although the Asus website does offer an updated bios , I am not too comfortable .

What is the troublesome part is that I have installed all my software and I suppose ( correct me if I am wrong) that for any of the solutions i.e. updating a bios( specially for the hdd) or using any third party partition utility needs a complete format of my disk!
    Is there a solution to get the extra 8 gb without formatting my hdd.

I downloaded the samsung diagnostic tool and ran it, no errors were found.
    The faq sheet has a solution which once again needs me to reformat the hard disk and instead of f disk they are telling me to use a utility which I am not familiar with.

Dear Aca Candy

Whats a software overlay program and what is Ez -bios.??
    I'm not too technical.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The utility that you mention that you are not familiar with, is more than likely Samsung's version of the software overlay program I'm referring to......and yes, it would entail reformatting the hard drive to set it up correctly......

8. RandyG

RandyG

Hi faiz,

The statement I made referred to however you partitioned your hard drive in the first place. I was only suggesting that you run it again to see if it gives you the option to reclaim the missing 8 GB. IF you go into fdisk, and see no more HDD available, then you can exit it without making any changes, and not lose your info.

As to repartitioning, I have heard very good things about Partition Magic, but have never used it. It will allow you to rework your partitions, without formatting or losing any data.

Flashing your BIOS is not a difficult task. Usually, you download an executable, which when run, will create a flashable BIOS program on a floppy disk. Reboot your system with that Floppy in the disk drive, and your BIOS is upgraded. If you have the correct BIOS for your motherboard, then there is no problems doing this, and no loss to your data. Flashing your BIOS with an incorrect version, one meant for a different motherboard, will earn you an expensive paperweight in place of your computer. I definitely believe flashing the BIOS is a last ditch effort.

9. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply RandyG ,

Guess what ! I went into the asus website and found a Bios update( with ref to my motherboard ) which specifically mentioned that : This update makes the motherboard capable of handling more than 32 gb hdd's.
    So now one fact is quite clear that my motherboard bios was not capable of handling more than 32 gb( I suppose). The fact that Asus has released an updated bios makes it quite clear that such a problem was existant
    Well I was just contemplating on updating my bios , I personally would never upgrade just for the sake of it , but now I feel it is quite important to do so. Over a period of time I have upgraded hardware and I am quite sure that a Bios upgrade would stabilise things.

RandyG I need help on my bios. I too am doing some reading on the asus website as well as my motherboard manual is quite informative , but still any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

If its not too much trouble I would be grateful if you could just have a look at the bios which I am going to download at the following website
    http://www.asus.com.tw/download/mbdriver/socket7.htm

My Mother board is an ASUS P5Ab -socket 7 with audio( although I have disabled audio , the feature still exists)
    Cpu is an amd k62 450
    I suppose ab5i1010.zip is the correct bios .

On the same page there is a note on the left How to Flash bios ?
    I have printed this section it is a little generalised but quite informative.

My bios Chip : 1 Mbit Flash EEPROM ( PROGRAMMABLE bios).
    What I would like to know is , before the update of the bios do I have to fdisk/ format the hard disk drive, since after the bios update I would be detecting my hdd and if the 40 gb does show up , how would I be able to format the 32 gb hdd. I will send you my version of the bios as well ,in some time after I reboot.
    Please let me know of any do's or dont's regarding the bios upgrade , thanks for taking all the trouble.

10. deuce

deuce

Well, this might not be of help and this is probably a little late... but did you install the HD or did someone else? If you did it... did you jumper the drive for master exactly as the manufacture said to? The reason I'm asking is, I'm not really sure if the drive will automatically format 32 and leave the rest when your bios cant handel it without you doing something to allow it to do so. Usually there is an alternative jumper to set to restrict the drive capacity. You might want to confirm that is jumpered to master as the manufacture says to do so you can get the full 40 when you flash your bios.

About recovering the lost space... partition magic is as great program and you won't lose any data. PM8 is out but is about $50 or so... PM7 is much cheaper and even PM6 will work for your 40 GB if you can find it... I'm sure PM6 is almost free. :rolleyes:

11. RandyG

RandyG

Hi faiz,

Well, that does seem to make it clear, doesn't it?!

Make sure you doublecheck what BIOS version you have first.

I took a look at the site you listed, and agree that the ab5i1010.zip is the one you want, as the ab5n1010.zip is the for the one with no onboard audio.

As to having to reformat your disk to recover the unused disk space, you will only have to do that if you wish to increase your existing partitions, instead of creating a 3rd one.

Use of 3rd party partitioning software can protect your data, but will cost you money.

My opinion (yes we all have them:D) is that you just create a 3rd partition, and have an 8 GB E drive, to go with your 16 GB C and D drives. You were willing to forgo this 8 GB, so it shouldn't make a difference what you do, and setting a 3rd partition will be the easiest route.

12. RandyG

RandyG

Hi Doyce,

I have been unable to find version 8, even on PowerQuest's website. They are currently selling ver 7 for $70, and I found a site that will sell ver 6 for $50. Let me know where you found your prices.

Thanx,

Randy

13. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi Deuce_mn,
    On the contrary ,I really appreciate all the help I can get.
    I have installed the hard disk by myself , it had come with the jumper setting from the manufacturer as master, After I booted the sysytem it hung on the first screen itself, i.e. it recognised the cd rom drive and the cd writer and then just stopped , I followed the diagram on the hdd ( jumper setting ) but no luck .
    Incidentally the hdd had three options for jumper setting--
    1. above 32 gb
    2. lower 32 gb
    3. 32 gb clip

since the first two didn't boot my machine beyond the initial screen I was left with the only option ie 32 gb setting.

Hi! RandyG,

Somehow I am not being able to understand
    Absolutely, I really wouldn't mind a third partition at all.

Please bear with me , lets start from scratch.

I have a system with hdd whose jumper is set to 32 gb since it doesn't recognise otherwise. There are 2 partition C' , D' with 16 gb each.
    Now I have to flash my bios , should I first change the jumpers to master on my hdd and then flash the bios or vice versa.

In either of the cases at what stage do I use fdisk/ format, if suppose I change the jumpers to master and flash the bios , and if all is well and the hdd does detect 40 gb, and then I fdisk, don't have I to take out the partition and repartition or will the 8 gb just show up as an excess . I always felt that partitions were deleted together and made together ( I am only comfortable with fdik) So how can I make just an 8 gb partition ?????????
    ( does this mean that I don't have to fdisk/format at all and all the data of mine remains the same)

I am a little confused as to the step wise movement , we have three big headings
    1. bios change
    2. jumper setting on hdd
    3. Fdisk/ format.

In what sequence do I do it ???

14. RandyG

RandyG

In the same sequence you listed them.
    1. bios change
    2. jumper setting on hdd
    3. Fdisk/ format.

Running fdisk will show you your 2 partitions already, but you can click on add a new partition, and it should recognise the remaining 8 GB, and you can select it for E drive, not touching C or D, therby not losing any data.

If the above does not work, then you might have to resize one of your partitions instead. You have probable loaded all your software on C: and might be using D to store files or music or whatever. At any rate, you create a new folder in C called contents of D, and copy all files that might be on D to there. This means, that even if you have to resize that partition, you won't lose any data. Once the resizing has been accomplished, then you can move those files back to the new 24 GB D drive.

Again, as long as you don't touch the partitions that are C and D, you can run fdisk and partition the rest of the drive with no problems. The second option I gave above is in case you find that you can not create any new partitions.

15. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

RandyG ,

I have just found Ali IDE Bus Master Driver on my Asus Diskette which I got with my mother board , What is this ?? Would this help in any way ??
    I am enclosing a file which says something about it..........

In the meantime I am doing the field work for the bios change, incidentally my d drive is absolutely empty .

Does this mean that I can resize the extended dos partition and rearrange the logical dos drives in the extended dos partition
    for example: My D' drive has got 16 gb, so I can make the extended Dos partition 24 gb and finally give D' drive a full 100 % i.e. 24 gb. ??
    Tell me do I have an option to make two logical dos drives in the extended dos partition at this stage ????

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice