1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hard drive added, Windows 2000 I need the data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tagalong, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tagalong

tagalong Thread Starter

I have used the "parts" from 2 separate computers, need to combine them into one good working machine.

Here's the scenario.

A. Machine A had bad motherboard GOOD HD
    B. Machine B had bad hard-drive GOOD MOBO

so
    1. I took the good hard-drive out of the machine with bad mobo and did this:

2. I slid good HD into the slot above the bad HD and secured, plugged etc- so now I have the good HD and the good mobo together...

3. I completely disconnected the bad drive, leaving it in the case because I can't get to the screws...

4. Started to power up and it passed the POST and Win 2000 screen started to come up.

5. But then.... Got a black screen (can't remember exactly what it said but it was like a scandisk operation or similar... not worried yet... so far so good - I thought.)

6. After that "scandisk" finished it went to blue screen and said:

"STOP ERROR Inaccessible Boot Device" and then a bunch of letters and numbers... I can get those later, and come back to this if they are needed.

Screen also said:
    "If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove anynewly installed hard drives or hard driver controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer. Refer to your getting started manual for more info on troubleshooting stop errors."

OK... THE HARD DRIVE WAS GOOD, NO CORRUPTION, NO VIRUSES ETC before the MOBO went out.... and I handled it "oh-so-gently"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SO - Looking at the Microsoft solutions list I think this applies:

Method 3
    If an IRQ or I/O port address conflict exists between your boot controller and another controller in the system, Windows NT will either hang or stop with the Stop 0x0000007B error message. If you recently added new hardware, remove the new hardware or re-configure it so it does not conflict with the resources of any other installed controllers.

Check the SCSI chain for proper termination. Remove any non-essential SCSI devices or check to ensure each SCSI ID is unique.
    ARTICLE-ID: 102651
    TITLE : Required Settings for Adaptec 1510 SCSI Host Adapter
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The PROBLEM - 3 things!
    I don't know HOW to re-config the hardware to get rid of a conflict and I don't know HOW to check the chain for proper termination... I don't know HOW to ensrue the SCSI ID is unique.....

I'LL APPRECIATE the HOW-TO advice, if I can get it!

Thanks - mucho!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Chances are that the error message may be incorrect, or at least incomplete. The problem no doubt lies in the fact that you have changed to a new motherboard and the chipset drivers for the old motherboard are installed.

Take a look at this document. It will instruct you on how to do a repair of 2000 that will install the new drivers:

http://alpha.fdu.edu/csci/Windows_2000.pdf

3. tagalong

tagalong Thread Starter

OK, First off, I appreciate your insight.

I read the PDF that you recommended, and I'm hoping that the Repair option would work for me... since it is important that I keep the data if possible.

I can do that I think, but now I'm wondering if it would be wise to just go ahead and upgrade to WIN XP (pro) at this time instead of messing with repairing 2000... that would accomplish the same thing too, right?

(If neither is an option, then I'll need to put the good HD back with the bad mobo and get a new motherboard for that particular machine - possibly causing the same mess all over again... unless I make sure it's the same type of motherboard, right?)

Sorry - I'm rambling.. time for some sleep. :eek:

4. junker39

junker39

Put the good HDD in a third PC,(set the jumper to slave), and get your important data copied from it. Then put it back with the good MB and do the repair,XP install, or whatever option you choose.

5. winbob

winbob

Tagalong,

Your info says, "beginner", so I have to ask this question. exactly what is the make and mdl of the good HD?

The only place that you mention SCSI is in the articles that you refer to. Is this really a SCSI drive??

6. tagalong

tagalong Thread Starter

Hello winbob... I have no idea whether it is SCSI.. or not...

I am a "beginner" at the hardware stuff. But I'm a little more than a beginner on software side. You know the old joke: How many software people does it take to change a lightbulb? Answer: None, we don't do hardware!

I desparately want to learn, but I think I'll give it some more time.

So: In light of the fact that I had so many questions, and not enough answers I took both PCs to a "real" repair shop today. I told the guy everything I had done, he says no problem putting the mess back together (that is of course after extensive quizzing on both parts) and lots of notes.

I just felt like I was really getting in over my head and I don't want to ruin the chances of having at least one good machine out the deal. I think it will be money well spent, and hopefully I'll learn a thing or two besides.

I was really grasping at straws, it's probably obvious. Thanks for the concern... And I'll just pay more attention here, now that I have found this site.

Almost Forgot to ask... (I do want to learn) How CAN you tell - whether it's a SCSI or IDE?

7. winbob

winbob

Well if you look at the label on the drive itself it most likely will say. The other thing is that there will be different connections for the data cables of a SCSI drive, as well as a different controller.

8. tagalong

tagalong Thread Starter

OK - I appreciate it.

fyi: As soon as I get the verdict and the details pertaining to what fixes them, I'll try to post back here and then mark it solved. That will most likely be on Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for your help.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the data on the drive is important, [and slaving the drive to another computer is not an option] I would opt for a repair install rather than installing xp. Doing the repair is quite easy; just boot with your win2k cd. You may need to enter the bios and set the cd as the first boot device. After setup loads, the first menu will ask if you want to install or repair. Choose install, not repair. The next menu will show any previous win2k install and give you the option to repair it. Select to repair the install.

After a repair install, you will need to reapply sp4, all updates, any hot fixes or patches. All data and installed apps should be left intact.

10. tagalong

tagalong Thread Starter

OK. I got the PC's back and have the 2 computers both fixed.

The bad motherboard was replaced, a repair on Win2K was done and all is well for problem #1.

The hard drive was replaced and Win '98 installed on the one with the bad hard drive.

Simple solutions; more expensive, but turned out to be the best in the long run.

Problem solved, but thanks for the input anyway.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/289699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice