1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Always working + slow comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brokyne, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is hardware or software but...
    Just recently (a few weeks ago) my hard drive started constantly spinning. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, or doing nothing at all.
    I've ran a Virus Scan (AVG and Mcafee) Ran Spyware/Malware ect.. Also did a disk clean up/defrag but the problem only seems to be getting worse. In the last week the internet has slowed down, not my actual connection it doesn't seem, but when I first open it, it seems to freeze for a moment. This happens with every program I use, Media player for example, was listening to music and the program froze briefly, the song started the skip and what not. Also many programs keep going to a 'not responding' state. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium, and I've had this computer less then a year.
    I'm not sure what other steps to take other then a reformat which I would really rather not do.

2. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

sorry i thought this stuff would add itself in

Hp Pavilion
    System model: GS354AA-ABA a620w
    System Type: X86-based PC
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4400+, 2300 Mhz
    3GB Memory
    2 hard drives c:289 GB J: 80GB
    Video card: Nvidia GeForce 6600 (soon to be upgraded)

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Never run 2 antivirus programs in one computer and that is probably why the drive is running constantly.

4. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Like Rich-M said, running two Antiviruses (sp?) at the same time is a big no no. However, if you are not running them both at the same time, can you look at the Task Manager and see any specific program using a large amount of memory?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Just having them installed together is enough as they never permanently disable anyway.

6. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

I didn't actually run both at the same time. Just two different programs at two seperate times. I was useing AVG free and thought maybe that wasn't picking something up. So i did away with it and picked up Macafee

7. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

Looks like the three big players are, dwm.exe at 23,664K
    iexplorer.exe at 45,516
    and.. explorer.exe at 39,144

Other then that there are a few things running, I just noticed 2 rundll32.exe is that normal?

8. replay

replay

9. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

reading through
    on the: Windows Vista page file

it says:
    Now enter in an appropriate amount of space in the minimum and maximum boxes. A good guideline would be 1.5 x the amount of physical memory in your system, so set a 3GB page file for a system with 2GB of memory. You can drop this to 1X for systems with memory over 2GB though.

** I set it to 4500, would that be about right?

10. replay

replay

first thing i did when loading vista was alot of reading and googling, the page i posted was one of the hits, did u read it ALL
    i would disable windows windows defender....turn off aero.... turn off the daily defrag to name but a few.........

11. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

ya i read through the entire thing, made most of the suggested changes, I did not turn off the windows defender though.

I can't say yet if this has helped the problem at all. My little hard drive light it still going pretty crazy but it doesn't sound like the hard drive is trying to eat the rest of the computer at the moment :)

but we'll see how it goes, I had read this stuff before, but since my computer had been running fine for 6 or so months i didn't think this was the problem.

But i'll cross my fingers heh

12. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

/sigh
    Problem still majorly persists
    opened up a few windows (internet, media player, chat) and the computer slowed down to a crawl, (took at least 10 secs to change between windows)

13. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

bump
    i'm still hoping for some suggested "fixes"

14. Brokyne

Brokyne Thread Starter

I updraged my video card yesterday with a EVGA GeForce 8600GT 512MB PCI-Express Video Card
    and my computer seems to be running normally again, So I guess the dying video card I had was the problem

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

You never mentioned you thought the video card had issues, that sure does make sense though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/713622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice