1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive and Data Lost?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MKS, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MKS

MKS Thread Starter

This afternoon when I turned on my computer(listed as primary in my PC specs) my Slave Maxtor drive didn't show up. After turning it off and back on 2 times the drive finally returned in My Computer but it changed from Maxtor Drive(I: ) to Drive(H: ). And when you try to get into the drive it reports that the drive is not formatted. Is there a way I can recover the drive with data intact that dosn't involve formating it? If there isn't how can I copy the data on the disk to another harddrive while I format this one?

2. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

It appears that you used a flash drive or other removable media. It's also possible an optical drive died or its power connector is loose or bad. That might have set your drive letter up by one. You can hard set the drive letter in Device Manager. My slave drive is hard coded as G: because of 2 optical drives and a flash drive. Also check the system setup (BIOS) to make sure it "sees" the drive and shows the right capacity. Looking at BIOS will also tell you if all of your other drives are running.

3. MKS

MKS Thread Starter

Its detecting everything all right. Its just that when I try to access the drive it says its a unformated disk and needs to be formated.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You might try a utility such as O & O Disk Recovery (not freeware)

http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodiskrecovery/

or Recover My Files (not freeware)

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

There are also some free versions of various utilities available on the web, just do a Google search for free file recovery.

If either of the above utilities can see the files, you could transfer them to an external hard drive, flash drive, etc.

O & O Disk Recovery is probably the best program available, however I've seen quite a few posts where people have been sucessful with Recover My Files.

5. MKS

MKS Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try it out and report back on it. (If it works I'm stuck trying to figure out how to copy 200 gbs of data off of it XD)

6. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

If your data is recovered you can easily get it off using a program called Acronis (google it) or if you have a floppy you can Ghost it, but Acronis is easier in my opinion. You will need another drive and what you will do is atempt to clone your old drive to the new one. If the drive is already bad this sometimes does not work.

7. MKS

MKS Thread Starter

The problem is I have a mass of 2gb flash drives but my main HD on that PC has 15 gbs full and I can't really take out my 500 gb from the other pc. -_- oh well its a good excuse to go out and buy a external harddrive.

8. MKS

MKS Thread Starter

Ran O & O Disk Recovery and it wasn't able to recover a single file so I guess I'm stuck formatting it and loosing all my data. oh well Thanks guys to helping me.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice