1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive and/or Motherboard Crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lbriteyes, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

I have an older Dell (4700 I think). The computer won't turn on at all anymore. The amber light comes on and the fans run fast and furious. I get no video, not beeps, nothing. I took it apart, cleaned it, reseated everything and put it back together. Same thing. I took the hard drive out and tested it on my husband's computer. It didn't boot. So I took his hard drive out and tried it in my computer. His wouldn't boot from my system. Is there any reason both my computer and my hard drive would both crap out at the same time? Is there hope for my computer?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't swap hard drives from one computer to another and have them boot. So there's no problem there. Also the hard drive is not a essential device required for the computer to Post.

Which light is amber? Front, motherboard, bad LED's?

Check the capacitors on the motherboard, the tops of them should be flat and there should be nothing leaking out the top or bottom of any of them. Here's pictures of what faulty ones look like with bulged tops and brown gunk leaking from them: https://www.google.ca/search?q=bad+...eB6OXyAHixYCABQ&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=813

It could also be the power supply, do you have another working one you can swap in to test with?

But check this out first: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/adtshoot.htm
    It lists the diagnostic codes and troubleshooting tips.

3. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

Thank you. I'll check this all out this weekend.

Linda

4. ninjaman123

ninjaman123

On a lot of older computers the power supply is the problem. I just tried to fix a friend of mine's computer and I couldn't do it because the power supply fan had quit, and he had no spare parts around.

5. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

I did all of the above, and cleaned it out as I went. Everything was re-seated properly, and re-checked.
    I went over the mother board with a fine tooth comb to make sure the capacitors were in good order.
    I switched out the power supplies and get the same problem. I also checked the checklist from Dell's
    troubleshooting page that you provided. There are no beeps, and none of the lights on the back are
    lit. The only light I get is the one where you turn the computer on. Its the one that is amber, The disk
    access light does not come on.

Thank you for helping. Where do I go next?

Linda

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may have a dead motherboard. But try disconnecting all the internal card, remove the video card, remove the RAM, disconnect all the drives. Then try with both the original and other power supply and see if the LED behavior or beeps change at all.

7. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

Removed everything, as requested. Took out the memory and the internal cards, including video card. Tried with both power supplies with the same result. No LED behavior, and no beeps.

This is my main computer, but I have another DELL and a frankenmachine (really old) that I built. How do I get my other DELL
    to recognize my sata drive from the bad motherboard one? It has no sata port inside, but I bought an extensive adapter that
    will change it to a usb drive. Are the other drives and cards compatible with the other DELL?

Thanks.

Linda

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    We would have to known the exact model of those computers and/or the parts. They may or may not be compatible.

If you have a SATA to USB adapter, then all you need to do is plug the drive into it and then plug the adapter into the computer; the drive should appear as another drive in My Computer so you can access it to copy off the data.

9. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

I don't have the security code on the bad machine, though I do have the serial number. I can't find that serial number anywhere online. Aopparently, Dell doesn't keep customer info past a few years. The other machine is a Dell e521.

10. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

Ok. I tracked down the serial number. The broken computer is a Dell Dimension 4700. The other Dell machine is a Dimension 2400.

Thanks.

Linda

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 2400 is older but you may be able to move the RAM from the 4700 to the 2400 as they both use DDR type RAM. The e521 is newer and uses DDR2 RAM so it can't be moved over. Not much else worth moving over or even compatible.

12. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your help.

Linda

13. ninjaman123

ninjaman123

If you can see the inside of the drive, not completely inside but just right behind the SATA connectors, you should be able to see maybe a broken solder.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice