1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Assistance Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plm10729, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Plm10729

Plm10729 Thread Starter

Hi all, I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any and all help. I have a Dell desktop Inspiron 530S that is 4 years old and had windows XP installed. Unfortunately, it appears that the hard drive has now died and I need to get a new 1. I have checked Dell, techforless, and newegg.com and have found the same model (#WD2500AAJS) but am not very knowledgeable about these things and cannot afford the Dell tech support.

I need to know the following:
    1. If I purchase the same model hard drive can I just plug it in and reinstall windows from the cd that came with the computer?
    2. I have seen some hard drives advertised that indicate they do not come with free fall, is that something I need to worry about?
    3. I have read in different forums about people putting new hard drives into their computers and needing to do jumpers and updating bios and I don't know how to do any of these things nor can I get the computer to boot so I can try anything with it.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I can't afford to purchase a new hard drive without being able to install it and get the computer working and no one I know is able or willing to help.

Thank you!!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There will be no jumpers to configure.and should be no BIOS changes made. According to the specs for your computer it is a SATA hdd, just remove the plugs from the back of the drive and plug them into the same place on the new drive. If your computer came with the OS Setup disk then it is same as setting up any other computer. Did you also get a Drivers disk or is it just one disk? If you did get a drivers disk that would be the second thing to run as soon as you have finished installing the OS. Then after it is up and running with the drivers, run the windows update.

3. Plm10729

Plm10729 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response :).

I have the Operating System disk to reinstall Windows XP Pro including Service Pack 1a which I assume will be the disk used to boot the computer and then install windows, then I have 2 driver disks which are - Dell Dimension ResourceCD which contains Device drivers, Diagnostics and utilities, Computer documentation, and a Dell Driver and Utilities cd that contains Device driver and Diagnostics and utilities.

I have another question that I completely forgot about. I have a wireless keyboard & mouse and I am concerned that I won't be able to do anything since these will not be installed on the new hard drive. Should I borrow a USB plug in mouse and keyboard to use for the set up?

Again, thank you for all your help, I know these are probably dumb questions but my knowledge is limited and I can't afford to make costly mistakes.

Pam

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Pam:

Do the following before you get started:

Get a PS/2 keyboard and mouse. You definitely don't want to use a wireless model. A USB model may or may not work.

Download and save the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade, then burn it off to a CD-R. Once you get XP SP1a installed and restart the computer, use the CD-R to install the SP3 upgrade.

Obtain the current XP drivers for the chipset, display adapter, sound device, and network adapter, then burn them off to a CD-R. If the install of XP doesn't install the drivers for all of them, you can then install them from the CD-R.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker of that Dell Inspiron 530S?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a good pictorial guide use for formatting that new hard drive and doing a clean install of XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    flavalee's advice is the way to go. You should have no problems at all if everything else about the computer is up to par. I would also agree with Frank4d your computer will be able to handle the larger capacity drive which will leave you with more room for files.

7. Plm10729

Plm10729 Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the help and guides. I was going to ask about the different hard drives and what was compatible,I really like the price from newegg. The service tag is 1NZD8F1.

Another dumb question - Do I have to use the PS/2 kind or mouse and keyboard? I only have USB ports. I am going to have to buy a mouse and keyboard or an adapter to use since no one around has any to loan so I need to make sure it will work.

Thanks again!

Pam

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If your computer only has USB Ports then a USB Keyboard and mouse will work. I would still stay away from a wireless, unless the keyboard and mouse that came with the computer from the factory is wireless.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 1NZD8F1, here is the Dell support site that's specific only to your Dell Inspiron 530S desktop. You should add and save this site to your browser favorites/bookmarks list because you'll need to refer to it.

Here is the driver downloads section for it. The Audio, Chipset, Network, and Video are the 4 drivers that you should download and save and burn off to a CD-R. Make sure that you select "Windows XP" for the operating system.

------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Plm10729

Plm10729 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your help :) I will let you know how it goes.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice