1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Behaving Strangely

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greybeard851, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greybeard851

greybeard851 Thread Starter

Hi, one of my three hard drives is making a repeating noise & I don't know what is causing it. If I disable that drive it stops. Also it does not happen in win7 Safe Mode. I dual boot win7/8 & it doesn't happen in win8. I have three SATA drives & only one of them is doing that. The sound is like a heart beat, two sounds coming together quickly and then a bit of time before the next repetition. This repeats about 24 times a minute. There are four partitions on this drive (Seagate ST3160023AS
    160gb, partitions P,Q,R & S). It has been doing it for awhile but I never paid much attention to it as I use uTorrent to trade fan-subbed anime (Non-Licensed ones) & I just thought it was uTorrent sending out data. I found out it wasn't that because I shut it down and the noise continued. Only recently did it start to get on my nerves and I would like to find out what is causing it and stop it. I wouuld appreciate any help I could get with this problem.

Thank you,

Greybeard

Below is my TSGsysinfo log.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7678 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4250, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives:
    C: Total - 82364 MB, Free - 13080 MB;
    D: Total - 24050 MB, Free - 23135 MB;
    E: Total - 200279 MB, Free - 164702 MB;
    F: Total - 431346 MB, Free - 247634 MB;
    G: Total - 716798 MB, Free - 124976 MB;
    H: Total - 6912 MB, Free - 2832 MB;
    I: Total - 104234 MB, Free - 8952 MB;
    J: Total - 231499 MB, Free - 71513 MB;
    K: Total - 348692 MB, Free - 343828 MB;
    N: Total - 15374 MB, Free - 11849 MB;
    O: Total - 17280 MB, Free - 8929 MB;
    P: Total - 21791 MB, Free - 10821 MB;
    Q: Total - 11593 MB, Free - 1550 MB;
    R: Total - 37926 MB, Free - 14452 MB;
    S: Total - 48656 MB, Free - 8092 MB;
    U: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1208245 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-880GM-USB3
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2013, Updated and Enabled

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Could be a failing/faulty HDD or an application reading from the drive. Typical apps reading would be AV software, file sharing software, Windows Indexing service. As you know it only occurs in Win7, it will be an app running in Win7.

3. greybeard851

Thanks for the reply. I had thought it might be an app, but I don't think I have any running apps that far up the line... P, Q, R, & S. Most of what is on those are old downloads and old documents. I do have win8 on the S drive but, of course, that would not be running... at least I don't ...think so... Actually I don't see how it could be, but who really knows. =8-(

Are there any programs that can show you what is running? I even unticked the boxes allowing the indexing service to index those drives, thereby eliminating one extra suspect.

I don't know... this is so weird.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Grey

4. dai

dai

d/load and run the seatools diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

it may be a partition with faulty sectors i have one on one of my drives i just deleted the volume from disk management and left it un allocated

5. greybeard851

That was a good suggestion so I downloaded it but, alas, no joy. I used the long generic test and it ran 2:44 but came up with PASS. So, back to square one.

Thanks anyway,

Grey

6. greybeard851

That was a good suggestion so I downloaded it but, alas, no joy. I used the long generic test and it ran 2:44 but came up with PASS. So, back to square one.

Thanks anyway,

Grey

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Click start then type TASKMGR and press Enter. Use the processes tab to see what's running. You can stop any process that looks like a possible cause by right-clicking it, clicking End Process and the Yes.. If you accidentally stop a Windows process and that causes a problem you can click the Shutdown tab and restart the computer.

8. greybeard851

Sorry I took so long to get back but wife's health not good and things got in the way.

Anyway, I checked the Task Manager and couldn't see anything that might indicate the source, so I backed up all the partitions on the drive to other drives and formatted those partitions. Now there is nothing but fresh space but it still continues. If it comes from that drive it isn't a program doing it that I can tell. The sound still occurs until I disable that drive, then silence. Perhaps the drive is starting to fail, but S.M.A.R.T. doesn't show any problems, so ... ???

If there are still any suggestions out there I would appreciate hearing them. Otherwise I may just replace the drive, but I hate to leave mysteries unsolved.

As I'm sitting here finishing up this reply, a thought managed to invade my brain. It could be something in the electronics of the drive that got scrambled. It may not be anything that would show up on any tests, and considering that this has been going on for a long time, I don't know if it would indicate any breakdown of the drive itself.

At this point all I can say is... "Oh, well, Whatever".

Grey

9. dai

dai

it may be the bearings gone in the motor

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Some drives are just noisier than others. Why not try that drive in an external caddy ?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice