1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: [hard drive] Cloning to larger drive, Win7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mat91fnd, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mat91fnd

mat91fnd Thread Starter

I have a Windows 7, 64-bit Dell desktop with 60-GB primary C: drive and 500-GB secondary E: drive. We keep bumping against size limitation on 60 GB drive.

I would like to consolidate to a single 1-TB hard drive. What would you recommend as the best approach?

I have been looking at various posts on TSG. It seems cloning the 60-GB C drive to 1-TB drive (over USB 2) is a start. But what to do with the data on E drive. Also, I noticed the E drive also has Program Files\ and WINDOWS\ directories. Is that cause for concern?

I was thinking of using Macrium Reflect Free, unless there is a better tool.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you moved the user(s) accounts onto the E drive - so all data is stored on the E drive 500GB and not on the C 60GB drive

3. mat91fnd

mat91fnd Thread Starter

Even though size limitation was the reason that started me to look for alternative, I would still want to consolidate those drives into one 1-TB drive. I plan to re-purpose those two existing drives for a Linux/Ubuntu system that I will be building.

So I need some help to "consolidate" them into one large drive... Thanks.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's possible that you have needed files on both hard drives so first I would physically disconnect the D hard drive and check that it still boots into Windows and if so make sure your programs work properly.

5. Bailifeifei

Bailifeifei

Didn't use Macrium Reflect Free. You can try disk clone from easus todo backup free, which I used when upgrading to a new hard drive. Just clone everything from the old hard drive to the new one, including the system, registery, applications, and data.
    The cloning time depends on how large your data has been.
    Googled this article about disk clone, http://www.todo-backup.com/support/tutorial/clone-hard-drive.htm.

6. mat91fnd

mat91fnd Thread Starter

etaf/managed/bailifeifei,
    I looked at my hard drives. Some accounts are on drive C: while others are on E: In fact, some of the program files are on E: This is the scenario managed described so I need files from both drives.

It looks like the easeus todo backup tool can clone two drives to similar partitions to a big drive. Does that mean I would end up with 60-GB and 500 GB partitions? Now I am not sure cloning would totally solve the problem of 60-GB limit.

Any idea of way to make it work (other than installing win7 and all the program files, then copy documents over)? Thanks.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    First I would dis-connect the 500GB drive and replace it with the 1TB drive, this will work faster than putting the 1TB into an external caddy. Then I would try cloning the 60GB drive onto the new 1TB drive. You have to be careful here and only boot the 1TB clone when you have already removed the 60GB drive, this is vital. If the clone works and gets into Windows you can then increase the size of the C partition either in Windows (7 or above) or with free software, I use this :- http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Then clone the 500GB drive onto it's own partition on the 1TB. You can put the 500GB into the caddy to clone it.
    Once again when clone is finished switch computer off and make sure you disconnect the original 500GB drive caddy before booting the computer up again.

I am not sure if everything will work after making 2 clones like that but worth a try.

8. mat91fnd

mat91fnd Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help. I was able to successfully "consolidated" the drives into one big drive. Here was what I did with your help.
    1) I confirmed that C:\ drive can boot up standalone. I removed the E:\ drive as suggested to do this test.
    2) I cloned the 60GB C:\drive to the new 1TB drive, using Macrium Reflect. I maximized that partition to full extent of the 1TB drive.
    3) I confirmed that the new 1TB drive can boot up standalone.
    4) Putting the 500GB back into E:\, I started moving my documents over to 1TB drive.
    5) I uninstalled all the Program Files on E:\ and re-install them to the 1TB drive.

I am pretty happy now. Thanks again!!!

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well done. (y)

Now I would make an Image of the 1TB drive stored on the 500GB drive !

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice