1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Cloning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laborous, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Laborous

Laborous Thread Starter

I installed a new 1tb hard drive and I plan to clone the original and use the clone as a back-up in the event my original fails. I initialized it and it showed up as 917 gb unallocated. I then partitioned it to match the partitions of the original. Did I need to do the partitioning or does EaseUs automatically format the new drive and partition it to suit the original?

What steps do I take next?
    Windows 7

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Easus should work with a blank never touched drive, if you have already created partitions then Easeus will simply overwrite that. But I haven't used it in awhile and generally I use Acronis or CloneZilla(free) that's booted from a CD to clone drives and it doesn't require any prep for the new drive whatsoever.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are intending this for backup purposes, I would suggest that instead of using the drive as a clone, you make an image file of your original drive. Acronis true image allows you to restore to bare metal ie a new drive.

The advantage here is that you can store multiple image files on your second drive. You can make an image file every week, every month, whatever. Doing what you are doing somewhat limits you to restoring your system to the state it was in when you made the clone. If your original drive fails after a year, that is a years worth of data files lost, etc.

Note if one of your drives is a WD, you can download a version of acronis for free.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

How is it partitioned .. Is the operating system in one partition and your data in another ...
    How many gigs occupied is the OS partition ???
    Too many gigs occupied is not good for imaging .... Western Digital Acronis

Attached Files:

• 555.jpg
      555.jpg
      File size:
      320.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Laborous

Laborous Thread Starter

Majority rules! I'll go with the Acronis image as your all suggested and back it up weekly. Thanks to Triple6, crjdriver and Noyb for your responses.:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice