1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hard drive compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Someguy041, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Someguy041

Someguy041 Thread Starter

is my hard drive compatible with this.. /ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+, Onboard Video,Sound, GB LAN/.. motherboard the hard drive is this.. /Western Digital 320GB WD3200AAJB-00J3A0/..I don't know how to tell. Thought someone from here could help out thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nope, at least not without buying an adapter and sometimes those do not work perfectly. Here's one such adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004

The reason being is the motherboard only supports the modern SATA connections, the light blue connectors in the very bottom right of the motherboard, and the hard drive is the now obsolete PATA(IDE) and uses a 40 pin(but 80 wire cable) connector.

3. Someguy041

it looks like i would be cheaper to buy the adapter but would it be better if i just buy a new one? can you give me a link to one or tell me the brand? plz

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here's a whole bunch of SATA drives, just pick the capacity you require: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Personally I don't care what brand as long as there isn't a serious flaw at any given time; I've dealt with computers long enough that I've seen hundreds if not thousands of failed drives from all the manufacturer's and in reality there's only three manufacturer's left in the 3.5" drive business anyway. The key to not losing your data is to have a backup, speaking of which you could buy a USB enclosure with an internal PATA interface and use your current drive as your backup drive, here's an example of such an enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145132

5. Someguy041

Thanks for all the links and suggestions you been a big help is the recommendations I can give you on this website

6. Someguy041

Oh and one more thing what is the USB enclosure is it just a hard drive I can plug into USB port?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's a box that you install your existing PATA hard drive into and then connect to a USB port. It basically turns your existing hard drive into an external drive like one you'd buy at the store. I'd be perfect for backing up any important files too off your main drive in the computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice