1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive crashed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris C., Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

i hope my questions aren't too general, but i'm trying to research something for my dad and i have limited information from him. if i need more info, i can always ask him, but here's the deal:

dad has a pc (dell, i believe) running XP home version, and using ie as his browser. he was accessing the net via comcast cable.

one day he got some popup telling him there was a virus on his computer and click here or enter some crap to fix it. when he got to the point where it was asking for personal info, he knew he was in trouble. from there he couldn't get out of whatever windows he was in, and ended up calling some Geek Squad to fix it.

after taking it in, the verdict was (i believe) that his hard drive had crashed and couldn't be fixed. dad is now buying a brand new computer.

#1 - does it sound plausible that a virus would ruin a computer to the point that it couldn't be restored?

second issue: not sure why he's not doing this himself, but he said he would pay to replace just the hard drive if it didn't cost too much, and give the computer to me since it's (presumably) newer than what i'm using (better monitor, etc)

#2 - i'm not afraid to open the box up and pop in a new part. he's got the formating disc. is this as easy as it sounds, and if so, what's the best way to go about finding a replacement hard drive?

i'm kind of thinking someone just wanted a nice commission straight out of my dad's pocket. on the other hand, he seems to be looking forward to a new machine. if it was too much for the Geeks to fix, would it be too much for me to fix?

thanks in advance for any feedback!!
    ~chris :rolleyes:

2. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

If you have the recovery disk why not just run it on the pc as it is and see if it works ?

Gus

3. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

:) that would make sense, wouldn't it?

i just called my dad to see if he'd tried that, or gotten anymore specific info on what happened, and he has since gone ahead and had the harddrive replaced himself.

guess i won't be getting a new computer after all :cool:

sorry for the false alarm. i'll mark this as resolved. thanks!! ~chris

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I suppose is it possible, theoretically, for a virus to cause such severe damage by overvoltages and such that it could make a computer unrecoverable. But this is tending toward sci-fi, and I would not expect to see it. Never have in the probably 1000's of infections I have seen, never heard of it. And how would the guy tell, anyway, without extensive testing? And how could he tell it was a virus that caused the problem originally? Pretty fishy if you ask me. Try restoring. Then buy a hard drive if tests show it to be bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice