1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarX740, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

Alright, having a huge issue with my desktop system. Attempting to do anything ends up giving me the standard "Delayed Write failed" error followed by not being able to run anything(gives the error not enough system resources...)

Here's the specs on my system:
    Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P
    CPU: P4 3.0ghz Prescott
    HSF:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    RAM: 2x2048mb DDR2 PC-6400 OCZ SLI Kit
    Video Card: Asus EAH3870X2 1GB PCI-E
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad Crossfire 750W
    Case: Lian-Li PC60USB
    Keyboard:Logitech G15 1st Gen
    Mouse: Logitech MX1000
    Speakers:Logitech X-540
    Monitor:22" LG W2242T LCD
    Hard drive:Seagate Barracuda 80gb 7200rpm SATA
    WD 500gb 7200rpm SATA2
    Optical Drives: LG DVD-RW(20x)
    Additional PCI cards:Linksys WMP54G Wifi card,Creative SBLive 5.1
    Number of fans present:2x80mm(Zalman),1x80mm Arctic cooling ACF8

It's a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 with all the drivers installed and up to date. The hard drive is brand new and I was having the same problem with the 80gb that XP was on before.
    I've tried changing memory slots,memory timings(Running at [email protected] exactly as spec'd on the memory) and have run memtest for 4 hours with no errors.
    Can't for the life of me figure out why I'm having so many issues with this pc.
    Temps are great(CPU-29 idle 45 load,vga-55-60 idle no load yet)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Perhaps the power supply is failing?

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

4. ~Candy~

5. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

Acacandy: It shouldn't be as it's only a month old and a very good brand. Haven't heard of many PCP&C PSU's failing.
    Jazz3000: I've read that page and tried most of the things on it, Going to try removing the raid driver(as I don't plan on running any raid configuration) and the registry edit for the ati card tonight.
    I've replaced the sata cables for both drives when I installed the 500gb and it's not a usb device, Like I said memtest found no errors after 4 hours so I'm doubting its the ram which only leaves those two things to see if they fix things.
    Will report back once I try them.
    Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks

6. ~Candy~

As to the ram, I've seen the memtest run fine, and still ended up being bad ram. If you have more than one chip, try running the computer with one at a time.

7. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

Tried all these things and yet I still am getting the delayed write error/Insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service.
    Not sure what it could even be at this point. both sticks of memory give the issue(alone or together) but yet no memory test programs show any problems.

8. ~Candy~

Hard drive cables?

9. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

10. ~Candy~

Well, then, I'm back to the power supply, or an intermittant power problem with your electrical service. Perhaps test the wall outlet. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

I would imagine that you looked at your processes via task manager to see if something isn't eating up your resources?

11. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

Yeah I've checked task manager, no problems there. Hoping it's not power supply. Going to try changing from my UPS to just a standard surge protector and we'll see if that does anything.

12. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

Update- Switching to surge protector didn't change anything, also switched the ram to the second set of matched slots to no avail.. Out of ideas at this point, motherboard possibly?

13. ~Candy~

Yep, a distinct possibility :(

14. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

Did some more testing, pulled out all the expansion cards I had running(sblive and wlan) as well as my graphics card and just ran the system with an old pci rage128, seemed to run fine without giving me the crash. Put my 3870x2 back in and the problem returns. Not sure why the card is causing these issues though. Power supply should have more than enough to handle this card.
    PS-The way I'm testing at this point is running 4 instances of memtest(windows based memory testing util) with 3 of them taking up 1023mb of ram each and the 4th handling the remaining amount. If the system crashes either during or after the tests is how I'm determining the result.

EDIT- It doesn't seem to be the card itself that causes the issue. It only returns when I install the drivers for the card. I've tried both the catalyst 8.9(latest) and the original shipping drivers(8.4) and they're both doing the same thing. No idea why having video card drivers causes my system to fail so much.

15. MarX740

MarX740 Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice