1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sassafras, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sassafras

Sassafras Thread Starter

Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP

I have had problems getting my computer to recognize some plug and play devices. Some of the fixes include uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

My problem is - I mistakenly selected my hard drive ST3160023AS to uninstall the driver. I realized my mistake but can't seem to "back out" of it.

Currently when I check the status of the drive in My Computer it says:
    "This device is working properly.

The drivers for this device will be uninstalled when the machine is restarted. Any changes you make to this device will not be preserved.

You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take affect."

So, I haven't shut down or restarted my computer as I do not wish to uninstall the drivers but don't know what to do to make it right.

Will a system restore work to revert to yesterday before I did this?

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Doing a system restore will not damage anything. I would do it from the safe mode

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Thread Starter

Going to Safe Mode entails rebooting, correct? And when I reboot won't that uninstall the drivers that I don't want to uninstall?

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Understood: do it from system tools

5. Sassafras

Sassafras Thread Starter

I'll give it a try later today. Thanks.

6. Sassafras

Sassafras Thread Starter

I did a system restore from system tools and everything is fine now. Thanks.(y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice