1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Encloser (format or not)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jbasto, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jbasto

Jbasto Thread Starter

Ok so one of my friends bought one of does cheap encloser here at a pc show so i put in an old HDD that i had w/ some stuff to test it out...and none of the 4 pc's at home will reconize it at all ??? i ready that crap manuel it has 1page lol so do i need to format the hdd cuz im gettin pissed off like allways when something dont go right

And one more and i have a MxtorII 300gigs and when i want to move files over it says disk full and it has 280gigs free any suggestions on that ?

thanks for the advice

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

So it does recognize it? You can't copy to it right? What kind of enclosure is it? Who makes it?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the disk [that you put in the enclosure] has been formatted in a file format that the computer can read, then there is no need to format it again.

I would suspect the enclosure itself. I have seen some pretty cheap ones that just did not work or worked intermittently.

4. Jbasto

Jbasto Thread Starter

Well there are to external's one that is the MaxtorII 300giger that when i try to transfer files to it will say cannot not sufficent disk space when there's 250gigs left,

And the other one is a HDD case that he got in a PC show but it will not reconize it like u plug it in and it says found new hardware .... installing then it will say problem installin the new hardware so i dont know what is going on and the hdd in the case was used in my pc so it works fine !!!

5. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

On the one from the pc show, i'de say the enclosure is bad. I would also lecture your friend that you can not just return stuff that don't work when you buy it from a show.

On the one made from maxtor, can you copy the files on it to another drive?

6. Jbasto

Jbasto Thread Starter

Yes cuz he has 4 other External Drives and we can copy fine to the other ones except to that one is just some files that wont copy to that one but to the other ones it will copy just fine ??:confused:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Disk manufacturer gigabytes vs real gigabytes: 300,000,000,000 / 1,073,741,824 = 279.4gig in real gigabytes for a 300gig drive.

For the spare hard disk, jumper the disk as master, and check in Disk Management after connecting it to see if it appears.

8. Jbasto

Jbasto Thread Starter

Well it works ok the MaxtorII but some files it says cant copy cuz of no space when there is 250gigs in the MaxtorII and 120 on C: drive so i have no clue what is going on but if i try to copy that file i get the error on to another HDD that is conected it will go no problem at all ??:rolleyes:

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the drive formatted as fat32 and are the files you are trying to move / copy large files?

10. Jbasto

Jbasto Thread Starter

wellnow that im here yes it is FAT32 Any way to make it NTFS w/ out losing nothing ????

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FAT32 has a 4 gig file size limit. You can convert the file system on the drive to ntfs, however I ALWAYS recommend doing a backup prior to doing anything like this.

To convert the file system, open a cmd prompt and type "convert X: /fs:ntfs" without the quotes. Note X is the letter of the drive you want to convert

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It could be either the mentioned 4gig limit for FAT32 file sizes, or you're trying to put too many files in the root directory.

13. Jbasto

Jbasto Thread Starter

Well guys thanks and it was that FAT32 problem and that convertion worked 100%

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it to work. You can mark your own thread as solved using the thread tools at the top.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice