1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Expansion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blacksovereignty, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blacksovereignty

blacksovereignty Thread Starter

I recently purchased a brand new Dell T3500 Precision Workstation. My existing internal 3.5" HD is fine. I have an external USB HD plugged into an internal USB port and mounted inside the chassis. I find it is not large enough for my needs. I want to get a new HD, internal or otherwise, to replace it. My computer has space for another 3.5" HD with SATA interface. Would that suffice if I got another 3.5" SATA HD? IF not, I have an eSATA port on the rear panel of my computer...how would I use that for my needs?

Ultimate goal: second hard drive of 250 gb or more...preferably internal.

2. Je55y

Je55y

Yes you can get another sata HDD. just plug in the power and plug in the data. simple.

You can use esata, you would need to either a) find an external drive with esata interface or b) mount an internal HDD into an enclosure with an esata interface

3. blacksovereignty

that's what I thought. but one little detail threw me for a spin.

When I customized the computer when I ordered it, i chose "CI All SATA or SSD drives, no RAID for 1 Hard Drive." That last part about 1 hard drive confused me. So, today, I went to dell's website and began building a T3500, just as I had done a month ago when I ordered the pc. once I got to the stage where you pick your hard drives, I picked two identical ones, instead of only one, like i had done when i ordered it. I got a message saying "you must update the hard drive configuration to 'CI All SATA or SSD drives, no RAID for 2 Hard Drives.'" what does this mean, and do you still stand by what you said in your last post?

4. helpful

helpful

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wsT3500/en/sfits/sfits_en.pdf

"Internally accessible two 3.5-inch SATA drive bays

NOTE: The platform can accommodate third and fourth
    3.5-inch hard drives in the flex bay or the optical drive bay."

Hard Drives

[​IMG]

Manual: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wsT3500/en/SM/wsT5300sm_en.zip
    Open td_hd.htm for instructions installing secondary in your precision workstation

Dell allows you customize your options at build time for the Precision Workstation (and others) for RAID configuration levels, RAID configuration needs to be decided and configured before the OS is installed.

5. blacksovereignty

ok, so now, i'm sitting here with a nice 2nd hdd and it's not showing up in my computer. solution?

6. blacksovereignty

model: wl750gsa3272

one of those dreaded white label HDDs.

750 gb, 3.5", 7200 rpm, sata.

7. blacksovereignty

by the way: i did connect the sata power and sata data cables correctly. the hdd is on and spinning, but not showing up.

8. helpful

helpful

You new disk needs to be initialized, and setup for windows before you can use the disk for storage. Please follow the below steps in order

Initialize:

Please read below for instructions under the header "To initialize new disks"

The new drive will be show as "not initialized", during the initialize wizard when asked Select the master boot record (MBR) option

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782513%28WS.10%29.aspx

Create a Partition:

Please read below for instructions under the header "How to create a new partition or a new logical drive"

during the partition wizard, Create a primary partition and assign all available space

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Format:

Please read below for instructions under the header "How to format a basic volume"

during the format wizard, Use NTFS as your file system and label the drive as secondary for example

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Assign a drive letter:

Please read below for instructions under the header "How to assign a drive letter"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

9. blacksovereignty

So, I go to disk management, and all that shows up is my primary internal hdd, my old external hdd, and my two optical drives. no sign of the new one at all.

10. helpful

helpful

Hit < F2> key when the computer is booting up to enter system setup (dell bios). Under System Setup Options ---> Drives, please confirm the new drive is listed

11. replay

replay

might have to go in bios and enable 2nd sata port..............

12. blacksovereignty

never really had to mess with bios except once. explain the procedure? i'm running win 7 professional.

13. helpful

helpful

If the drive is not listed you can enable the sata port in most Dell BIOSes under:

System Setup Options ---> Drives ---> Sata Drives {port number} - Change the setting On

14. blacksovereignty

where do i access system setup options?

15. replay

replay

when u 1st bootup it should say f10 or f2 or something similar to enter bios

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice