1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Format... Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by h0MbrE, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h0MbrE

h0MbrE Thread Starter

I bought a used 80GB hard drive and installed it in my computer as a second hard drive (F:). When I started the computer it showed up and was accessable, showing all the files of it's previous owner and everything was fine.

I thought rather than digging through it and manually deleting redundant files I could simply re-format it by right clicking Local Disk (F:) and selecting properties/format. I chose the "Enable Compression" option and clicked "start". It went through the process and when it finished I got an error message saying "Windows could not complete the format".

My (C:) drive is jumpered to master and (F:) is jumpered to slave and it was working fine untill I attempted to reformat. Now all I get when I try to double-click on it is an error message: "(F:) is not accessable. The parameter is incorrect." If I double-click Local Disk (F:), and select properties, it shows " Used space: 0 bytes. Free space: 0 bytes."

I'm not sure if it is even relevant, but is it possible that if it had a different version of XP than the original one on my (C:) drive (XP Home/SP2) that this could be a possible connection? I have never formatted a hard drive before other than a clean install of Windows on (C:) and I really have no idea what I did wrong or how to even go about formatting just the (F:) drive with a clean install of Windows.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. norton850

norton850

Right click on My Computer and choose Manage/Disk Management. See if you can reformat it from there. You may want to start from scratch and delete all partitions and recreate a new partition and then format it. I would recommend against using Disk Compression unless you really need the space.

3. xtreampb

xtreampb

you started the format and it was "interupted" and could not complete. it is like saving a game on the PS2 and yo ulose power in the middle of a save. your saved game is lost and have to start all over
    do what you did last
    open my computer and right click on the HD you want to format but this time put the system disk in that you wish to put on the HD (this will not make the HD bootable but accesable)
    if you are going to format with FAT 16/32 you can use win 98 SE
    if you are going to format with NTFS you need to use win 2000 or later
    this is what i did to fix my prob when i encoutered it hope it works for you

4. h0MbrE

h0MbrE Thread Starter

Got it working, thanks guys.

5. norton850

norton850

Being curious we always like to know what you did.

6. h0MbrE

h0MbrE Thread Starter

I used my Windows installation disk but it still couldn't format the volume saying that "the disk might be damaged". Thinking that maybe there was a prob with only a portion of the disk, I seperated it into 3 partitions and formatted each partition individually (for some reason unbeknownst to me it was able to do it this way). Then, using the advice in this thread I right clicked "my computer" and went to "disk management" and deleted the partitions, then re-created a single partition of the entire volume and formatted without a prob. Why it worked out this way I have no idea, but I'm using it now and all is good.

7. norton850

norton850

Interesting solution. :cool:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice