1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive free space going to zero

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lrussell, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lrussell

lrussell Thread Starter

XP on a system that has run fine for years. Just recently started doing some deep housekeeping with a lot of removing old programs. Suddenly my email wouldn't display the mail contents (which I figured was a storage problem) sure enough my free space was down to zero. I noticed my pagefile.sys was 2.5gb - so I changed it to 0 (I have 1gb ram). So now I had 2.5 gb free. Went to my mail and read all of my messages. Did some surfing and closed down for the day. Next day, read my mail (deleted 98% of it) got a message that c: was dangerously low. Didn't get any large files via mail - hadn't downloaded anything - hadn't installed anything - couldn't figure out where it went. Looked at each folder and file on c: and they all didn't add up to the drive size. I've spent the last 10 hrs deleteding things so I can run system restore and set it back to an earlier date. But can't get enough space to do that! Something is filling up my space but not in a way that I can find it. HELP! It's driving me crazy......... had AOL AVS running - firewall on - ran spybot - clean disk etc etc

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Windirstat http://windirstat.info/ is a utility that will help you find files and folders that are using up all your drive space.

You might also try using CCleaner to clean up your browser history, temp files, and cookies. Use Index.dat Suite to clean up index.dat files. Delete old System Restore points, turn off Hybernation (and then delete C:\hiberfil.sys). Delete files in C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp, and C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp, and C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.

3. lrussell

lrussell Thread Starter

Thanks Frank - I've cleaned everything you mentioned (except system restores cause I want to go back before this screw up) deleted tons of applications that I'll have to reload. Cleaning up space just gives more food to this free space cancer..............I think the next thing I'll do is pull the drive and put it in another computer as a second drive - maybe I'll find the cancer.

4. lrussell

lrussell Thread Starter

Found out what it was - what a hoot. Somehow I activated an old web camera capture program - of course I no longer have a webcam attached but it was busy making AVI files in the background. The files were buried real deep in the file tree and since it was still open wouldn't show with a file size. I had Explorer XP but it kept bombing out. So I downloaded Windir and it tunneled down and found it. As soon as I saw what it was I removed the program, deleted the offending AVI files and suddenly got 50% of my space back..........after I transferred and removed tons of stuff. Good learning experience - and thanks for the the heads up in Windir.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/562450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice