1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive help needed....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimiiii, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimiiii

jimiiii Thread Starter

I have a hard drive on my computer marked, D: recovery ... I'm getting an error message that says it's full. It gives me a couple of options for clean up ... 1) this one looks like the standard "Disc Cleanup" on the system tools menu, but it only offers two choices and both of those show no bytes. 2) this looks like the "Add/Remove Programs" feature on the Control Panel.

My problem is what do I remove? Is this all simply back up and can I remove it all? Or do I have to pick between programs? All the programs listed in the menu l;ook to be programs I use in my everyday work...

I've never had a computer or even seen one that had this D: Recovery drive...

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to kick my way..................Chief

2. H412V3Y

H412V3Y

Browse through your hard drive and delete files you dont need................

you might not even have any programs installed on it,

3. jimiiii

jimiiii Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply...........But how do I know which ones to delete...the same message comes up when I clicked on one that comes up from the add/delete menu...you know, "if you delete this program some things may not work properly"...I'm scared I'm gonna mess the whole thing up............

I hate being so illiterate, but I'm old...give me a brreak, OK? I was around when all we had was Am Radio and Black and white TV........

4. raybro

raybro

Hi jimiiii... I can relate to AM Radio and black & white TV. Ahhhhh... The good ol days :D

Anyway, more to the point, it would be helpful if you could provide some information about your computer. Make, model, Operating System, hard drive size(s), amount and type of RAM and any other information you think may be relevant. If you do not know how to obtain any of that information, post back and I or someone else will provide instructions. Be patient and we will get there.

Do you know how to get a screenshot and include it in a post here?

Raybro

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A recovery drive is usually where a computer manufacturer places the software reuire to restore your computer and its software to the state it was when you purchased the computer. Sometimes this partition is hidden sometimes not. If you have not got the factory OS installed anymore then this partition is probably not useful as such anymore. However if your computer is still using the OEM OS and other software then it is likely by deleting anything from this drive will also delete your ability to do a factory restore.

6. raybro

raybro

Hi dustyjay.. Every manufacturers recovery partition I've ever seen (Dell, Compaq, HP) has always been a hidden partition. i.e. no drive letter assigned. Access is generally requires a specific set of keys to be activated at a specific time during boot. That is the reason I had not considered his D:\ drive labeled Recovery as a manufacturers recovery partition, but rather a partition someone had created as a storage partition for backup files and such.

Here is a paste of the sequence from my Dell Inspiron 1501 manual.

1 Turn on the computer.
    During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.
    2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
    If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.

Just for future reference, do you know of one that is not hidden.

Raybro

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THe recovery PArtition on my Compaq SR2168HM is visible in Computer MAnagement, My Computer, and Windows Explorer. I agree most are hidden, and for access to the files on my compaq I do need a Key combo but also the set of Discs that I had to make for System Recovery.

8. jimiiii

jimiiii Thread Starter

I have an HP desktop computer with Vista, 2gb RAM, 20gb hard drive...........that D:/ recovery drive was on it when I got it...Hope that helps...and thank you guys..

9. raybro

raybro

The Recovery and Dell Tools partitions also show up on my system in Disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned nor do they appear in Windows Explorer or My Computer. Therefore, there is no way to access them except as outlined in my previous post. That does not appear to be the case with jimiiii. He has accessed the D:\ Recovery drive and doesn't know what to do with it. What we need to find out is just what that is all about.

Raybro

10. raybro

raybro

jimiiii posted while I was typing my last response. Don't quite know what to make of that, but am inclined to think his D:\ drive may, in fact, be the HP recovery drive. If that is the case, he should leave it alone. What do you think dustyjay.

Raybro

EDIT: jimiiii... Can you find the model number on the computer. It should be somewhere on the tower case. Maybe on the back.

11. jimiiii

jimiiii Thread Starter

I'm at work, guys...the computer is at home........

But that is what it says... D:/recovery

and when I turn on the computer I get a message that I need to free up some space in that drive........that's what I can't figure out...what do I delete... I get off at 6PM central...When I get home I'll post the model number of the computer and see if I can copy and paste a list of what's on the thing.................again, thanks for all the help

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would leave it alone unless you have the Recovery disc set from HP. Did you put Vista on it? Seems to me that a 20 Gb Hard drive is awful small for a newer computer.

13. raybro

raybro

If my Rum soaked brain is working today, that will be 4:00PM my time (Pacific Standard). I'll check back after that.

BTW... Regarding my question about posting a screenshot. Do you know how to do that? I'm anticipating we may need to do that in order to clear up a few things.

Raybro

14. jimiiii

jimiiii Thread Starter

The computer is a refurbished one from TigerDirect, and I've had it about two years........I'll post as much as I can when I get home...screenshot as in print the screen?

15. raybro

raybro

I recommend and use a free utility called Screen Print and Capture. I have it set to capture the active window. You can download it here.

Attached is an example of what I would like for you take a shot of and post it. The windows Print screen key is still what you use to take the shot of an active window, but its a little different from there. Just read the Help section after you install it and it's pretty clear. I give all my screen shots a .gif extension, store them in a folder I created in My Documents folder and then click the paper clip symbol at the top of the post window and upload them from there as attachments to a post on TSG. I know it sounds complicated, but once you understand the steps, it's pretty simple.

If you prefer to use the windows print screen built into the OS, click here for instructions on how to use it. Never had much luck with it myself.

Raybro

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice