1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Hard drive help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickdawg, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

Hey all

I finally went out and bought a maxtor 40 gig hard drive, and I have a few questions.

First, I set the new drive as slave, and the old drive as master, and elected to copy the contents of the old drive to the new. I am not sure it worked. When I tried booting the system with the new drive only installed, it said a file wasn't found (sys. something) and I needed to insert a startup disk.

I tried booting with the old drive master and new drive slave, and it worked, but I now have 5 gigs free in my old drive (I had 500 megs free before, where did I get the extra space?) and I have about 19 partitions of 2 gigs each.

How can I get rid of all the partitions? Are they really necessary? It's a pain in the butt to have not only drive C, but F, G, H, I, J, K, L, etc. all the way up to V.

I will start over if needed, I just want the best approach possible. A friend of mine said he might be able to let me use his Norton Ghost 2002 program, if that is better then the Maxtor included software.

So basically, any help is appreciated. I am running Windows XP Pro in case anyone needed to know. I just need a step by step tutorial :)

I am eagerly awaiting your responses. Thanks!

2. n2gun

n2gun

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Did you have a 40 gig drive before? You posted that the old drive is divided into 38gigs worth of 2 gig partitions...possibly a typo.., or you meant the new drive is that way.....anyway, your problem seems to be that you are having BIOS limitation problems....which, if you are using the drive software, should not happen, they handle the limitation for you and set the drive up with one big or whatever you want for size of partitions. Only the first drive, C:, with Windows on it, will boot- you started out right, installing the new 40 gig as slave, then when the drive software copied over to that, something has gone wrong, all you should need to do is change the drive by setting the jumper to Master, and installing it on the proper IDE port, usually the Primary, or IDE 1, on motherboard. You could also use the sys.c command with your startup disk in floppy drive to make the new drive bootable...
    you must also format all new drives- sounds like you probably did, but these can go wrong, too. Fdisk program is used to set up C: and other partitions, but drive software again should also do this...as can a Restore program, if your computer came with that type of software, and not a MS Windows CD and other disks to run.

As far as running XP Pro- even with that, some of your hardware or devices like a modem may not work- not all parts have drivers yet for XP, but if you run into that, win2000 drivers are being used in most cases, and work well.

4. wedor

wedor

You would not need fdisk when using XP, it has it's own disk managment program built in. Are you trying to just copy files over while in Windows? if so then that will not work. If you are booting to the Maxtor disk then it should make a copy of the old drive to the new, unless as pointed out your system can't properly use a larger drive.

5. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I was using the right software that came with the hard drive to set it up. I chose to copy the entire old drive to the new one.

It asked me to choose the size of the partitions, and said they cannot be bigger then 2,197 megs each. So there were 18 at that size, and 1 at 1,300 megs.

There was no way around that as far as I could see.

Another thing I noticed is that the computer takes at least an extra 1-2 minutes to boot, sometimes taking a total of 5 minutes. Is this because both drives are attached? Today it hung on the XP screen for 4 minutes. Normally it got throught that in 10-30 seconds.

Anyone have any experience with Maxtor drives?

Oh and when I changed drives, I left the new one on cable select. As far as I know, as long as it's connected to the master cable, it should be indentified as master, right?

I don't think I changed anything to any ports, how do I do that? I figurd you just changed drives and that's all there is to it. Well after copying files of course.

That sys. thing is what kept the drive from starting. How do I find that file?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It sound like you have to install the ez-bios that came with the Maxtor drive, it's on the software disk that you are speaking of.

How large is your other drive? Does it have the software overlay on it?

I haven't had too much luck with cable select....if both drives are on the same ribbon, make the master the MASTER, and the slave the SLAVE.

7. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

my other drive is 15 gigs.

How do I get the new drive to boot? The sys. file or whatever it was :)

I am not sure where to find that file.

8. ~Candy~

Gonna have to narrow the file down a bit more, lots of files end in .sys, is this on the small drive? or the large drive?

......but what I'm thinking, since you just set the drive up, start all over with it.....

9. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I don't mind starting over, it's just that it won't let me go past the 2 gig partitions. Maybe the new drive is setup for Fat16, isn't that a limitation of 2 gig drives? If that's the case, how do I set it to Fat32?

The sys file or whatnot I speak of is what it tells me when I plug the new drive in alone. It says insert a startup disk. Otherwise, it won't boot. It says cannot fins sys or whatever

:)

10. ~Candy~

Can you still boot with the old drive?

No, usually it's a bios limitation on the size of the hard drive.

11. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I have the old drive as master now, it boots fine. Although it takes 5 times as long as before.

12. ~Candy~

Can you hit the escape key while it is starting up...do you see anything scrolling by similar to 'hard drive being controlled by ez-bios, hit ctrl-a to boot from disk" (sorry, can't remember the exact wording.........

Am I correct in assuming you have them both on the same cable?

Also, what happens if you disconnect the new drive, and boot normally?

13. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I haven't tried to boot normally.

I know the comouter is recognizing the drive, because of all the partitions. How do I delete partitions? Can I make them back into one big drive some way?

14. ~Candy~

You are not following me. If you bios cannot see the entire size of your hard drive, then you must do one of two things, the first being the most dangerous:

1) update your bios so that you are able to see the whole size of the drive.

2) install the software overlay that came with the drive so you can see the whole size of the drive.

If you need to install the software, it needs to be on both drives.

15. wedor

wedor

Did you fdisk and format this drive "before" attempting to transfer the files?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/92580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice