Solved: hard drive image

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chefdimo

hi.

Can someone please briefly tell me about what is an image of hard drive? Is it like Windows System Restore or more conclusive? What does it contain? and how can I burn an image (if that is a way of backing up your system) and use that image later.

Thanks guys.

Omid

chefdimo said:
hi.

Can someone please briefly tell me about what is an image of hard drive? Is it like Windows System Restore or more conclusive? What does it contain? and how can I burn an image (if that is a way of backing up your system) and use that image later.

Thanks guys.

Omid
I've used Acronis True Image a couple of times, it makes an exact copy of your hdd, say you have an old 40gig hdd and want a larger one, you can clone your old drive to the new one, install new one and away you go, no installing os, programs etc., saves lots of time

crjdriver

An image is an exact copy of the drive or partition being imaged except for some items like the page file [which is recreated when you boot windows]
It is much more inclusive than system restore. In fact system restore is one of the first things I turn off since I use imaging software.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree with that, though I leave System Restore on for my boot volume. I use Acronis True Image for a weekly backup of my boot partition.

chefdimo

thanks guys. so does it copy programs also?

and does that program also install the new image onto the new harddrive?

crjdriver

It copies whatever you had on your drive or partition that you imaged; so yes it will copy your apps, files, etc.

The same app that made the image is used to restore the image. Note you can use the app to clone a drive as well as image a drive.

chefdimo said:
can I burn an image (if that is a way of backing up your system) and use that image later.
If it will fit on something like a DVD, then you can burn the file(s) there. Another option is to copy the image to an external USB drive.

chefdimo

thanks for all your inputs. I will try it and if I have any problems, I know where to go.

Omid

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online