[SOLVED] hard drive install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

comeaugn

I am trying to install a second hard drive. It is detected when I disconnect the original drive and set up the new drive as master. When I install the new drive as slave it is not detected. I have tried different jumper settings but no luck.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Where is it detected? The bios setup? Is it a Western Digital drive? What's the other one? Per chance, does the one drive have a software overlay program like EZ-Bios controlling it?

comeaugn

Thx for the response, Aca. The new HD is detected in setup when it is the only one connected. I don't have EZ Bios (that I can see anyway). Setup doesn't recognize the new drive as the primary but gives me a primary option of all zeros as the primary drive. It seems I can choose the new drive as primary slave. They probably shouldn't let 50 yo children play with these things.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about a little information? The make/model of the MB, the date of the BIOS, and the make/model of the drives in question. Also, you do realize that drives like the WD have different jumpering when they're the only drive than when they're the master with a slave, right?

comeaugn

Thanks all for the help. John had the nature of my stupidity about right. I didn't realize that the jumpers were diff for single vs master or slave.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online