1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] hard drive install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by comeaugn, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. comeaugn

comeaugn Thread Starter

I am trying to install a second hard drive. It is detected when I disconnect the original drive and set up the new drive as master. When I install the new drive as slave it is not detected. I have tried different jumper settings but no luck.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Where is it detected? The bios setup? Is it a Western Digital drive? What's the other one? Per chance, does the one drive have a software overlay program like EZ-Bios controlling it?

3. comeaugn

comeaugn Thread Starter

Thx for the response, Aca. The new HD is detected in setup when it is the only one connected. I don't have EZ Bios (that I can see anyway). Setup doesn't recognize the new drive as the primary but gives me a primary option of all zeros as the primary drive. It seems I can choose the new drive as primary slave. They probably shouldn't let 50 yo children play with these things.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a little information? The make/model of the MB, the date of the BIOS, and the make/model of the drives in question. Also, you do realize that drives like the WD have different jumpering when they're the only drive than when they're the master with a slave, right?

5. comeaugn

comeaugn Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help. John had the nature of my stupidity about right. I didn't realize that the jumpers were diff for single vs master or slave.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All's well that ends well. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice