Solved: Hard drive installation and loading

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SBruce

I would like to install a second H/Drive and would like to know the best method of moving programs over to the new drive. Is it done easily or should I leave it to an experienced tech?
Bruce

Are you wanting to move the programmes only to the new drive leaving windows on the old drive? If so why? If it's space you're after move your 'my docs' to the other dive instead. Ideally windows and your programmes should be on the same drive or partition.
If not, re-installing windows is likely to make your programmes not work properly as they are linked to windows via the registry and the system 32 folder if it's XP.

Well, that depends.
I take it your plan is to install the new hard drive, and remove the old, then re-install Windows and all your programs onto the drive?

Another method would be two install the Hard drive as a slave HD, then you can keep all the files and the OS, and use the second drive for storage.
If you go for method one, this is time consuming and everything needs to be re-installed.

The latter method is very simple and works great unless your HD is about to die...

it is not hard to put another drive in, format it and begin using it to store files. When I first set my computer up I tried installing all of my games on a seperate drive than Windows, that didn't work for me. If the goal is storage just use the new drive as storage and keep your system intact.

dustyjay

Jay
If you are wanting to move everything over to the new hard drive and run it from there, you can do this with out reinstalling windows. Most hard disk manufacturers have a program to clone an old hard drive to the new hard drive available either included on a CD with the hard drive or available from thier web site. I have used Maxtors software succesfully several times, there are also retail programs available that will do the same thing and more for you.

SBruce

Hi-I wanted to install a second H/Drive for space as my existing H/D is almost full. I thought I could move some programs over to the new drive but leave the O/S on the original H/D but I gather this is not such a good idea.
Bruce

SBruce

Thanks for the various ideas in regards to a second installation of a second H/D. Iwill consider this item closed.
Bruce

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online