Solved: Hard Drive Installation Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XZilla

I have just installed a new hard drive on a HP Pavilion xt963 and am now having a problem with the monitor not turning on. I have tried the HP Chat Support to no avail. The new hard drive is a Western Digital 80gb.

To be clear, there is no blank screen or black screen with a blinking cursor. The led indicator on the monitor turns green when the computer is turned on, but immediately turns yellow, which is the color when the system is on standby.

I have tried all that I know and am now at my wits end. I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks.

i dont know specifics of your system but i would suspect weak powersupply. but i would wait for other solutions to pop up before i did any thing

G'day Xzilla, in that the monitor is going green initially it indicates soem form of signal is being sent to it but it is obviously being lost, so the thing turns back yellow.
In that you have only changed the hard drive, try disconnecting all the drive power plugs and the ribbon cables to them. This will substantially reduce your power consumption.
Then see what happens when you try powering up.
If you can get it to remain green switch off and try reconnecting one component at a time.
I imagine you have set the bridge on the hard drive appropriately.
It is possible that the new drive is a bit more power hungry than the previous one.
If you can't get something on screen you will need to strip the thing back to basics.
Cheers, qldit.

valis

don't think that's the monitor's problem; sounds like your hd isn't spinning up and powering on the pc, so the monitor, failing to find an active signal saying 'stay on' from anywhere, shuts itself down.

Since you just installed a new Harddrive, start with the simple stuff. Make sure that your video cable is connected securely, and try re-seating your video card. If you bumped it while installing the drive, it may not be seated all the way.

XZilla

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. I will try each suggestion and post the results. I do however have another question. What is the worse case scenario providing that I have done everything correctly? I have changed other hard drives in the past, but this is the first problem that I have had. Are there any known issues with my particular machine?

Thanks again.

XZilla

FYI, I have tried all of the suggestions and none of them worked. I finally broke down and took the machine to a local repair shop and found out that the processor had gone bad. I do thank everyone for their input.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online