1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive issue,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 12tipp12, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hi, my problem is this, due to my failing eyesight when attempting to connect a new hard drive by way of an ata_cable i tried to put the connector on the wrong and managed to snap off one of the many small pins that join the two together, i have now put the hard drive in a hd enclosure to see if it will still work, the add-hardware wizard icon pops up in the taskbar but after some time nothing seems to be happening. i have checked in disk-management but it shows only the installed drives, any advice as to whether this drive can be saved and how will be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Bill

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Ouch - I don't think there's a way around that unless you are able to reconnect that pin (solder?) or replace the I/O board - but even so, I'm not sure that would work.

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hi, you're probably right, just that it shows up in device manager as not having the drivers installed, so i thought maybe.

Bill

4. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Nope, there's no way to save the drive (well, you can 'save' it and use it for a paper weight or something, but not for data storage :p).

Although RogueSpear00 does make some valid arguments, repairing something like that would be more of a hassle than you would think. For example, you would need to find a replacement pin (you wouldn't be able to use the same one that snapped off), which you would need to remove it from another drive fully intact (basically 'de-soldering' it). Or if you go for the 'replace the I/O board' method, you would most likely need to find the same kind of hard drive of the one you're trying to fix, as different drives are constructed with different methods/technologies.

5. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Okay, many thanks to you both, in the bin it goes.

Bill.

6. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

One last thing - You can replace that I/O Board (everything should be integrated) if you want and you do need to get the EXACT same model drive to get it to work. If you really do need data off that drive, you can send it to a few places that would be able to retrieve the data, but that's up to you. And don't feel bad, we've all broken little things like this and kicked ourselves for it - it happens. At least you're still fiddling around with things despite failing eyesight. Best of luck bud.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice