1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive jacked, have no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LostGamer, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LostGamer

LostGamer Thread Starter

So I got this computer about 3 months ago, and the hard drive went bad on it a couple nights back. One of the nice byproducts was Windows "misplaced" a boot file, and when I called tech support, they had me run a drive diagnostic and it came back fail--need to replace.

They said a tech would call me within 24 hours to schedule a time to come over and replace the drive. Of course, the tech never showed up. I reformatted the whole thing and reinstalled XP, so I have limited functionality with it, but it's not working like it used to. Everything is very slow to open, the internet is running at a crawl for me (took me 20 minutes to pay my American Express bill online)...but the most annoying thing is I have no sound.

Now, after I reformatted this thing, I installed the drivers for my Soundblaster card, and I had sound after that....but after I got done installing the rest of my drivers/discs (This computer is a Dell btw, and came with about 8 driver discs), the sound vanished.

I've checked hardware, says the sound card is drivered up (no ! or ? on the icon). I've checked to make sure it's not muted, I've checked to make sure the speakers are plugged in the right slots, I've checked to make sure volume settings aren't down at nothing...everything is showing me as having sound.

Suggestions as to how I can actually GET the sound until this idiot decides to call and give me my hard drive? The one thing I'm missing is the icon down in the bottom right of the screen for volume controls...I checked all mys ettings off the control panel.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

In the sound control panel, can you place a check mark in the box to show volume control on task bar?

3. LostGamer

LostGamer Thread Starter

Found it, did it, maxed everything out. No sound.

4. ~Candy~

What shows there for the playback device?

5. LostGamer

LostGamer Thread Starter

Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (which is what I have)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you gone to DELL's website and downloaded the latest drivers for the SoundBlaster? You may just need to reinstall them.

The slowness could be because the hard drive is faulty.

However try installing these drivers:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/8178/eng/infinst_enu.exe&ProductID=816
    AND
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/4857/eng/iaa23_enu.exe&ProductID=663
    OR
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/6868/eng/iaar353_enu.exe&ProductID=961
    They might improve performance while you wait.

I would also call DELL again and ask what happened to their 'great' support.

7. LostGamer

LostGamer Thread Starter

I'm starting to think that maybe my sound card is shot, too. Did all of that, still not a lick of sound.

8. ~Candy~

What program are you using to play music?

9. LostGamer

LostGamer Thread Starter

It's not just music programs. It's Windows startup sounds, video games, mp3's, everything.

One thing I noticed is I can unplug the speakers from the sound card and plug em back in, and it gives the "static air" sound, so they're getting juice/some sort of signal from the card itself, it's just not happening otherwise.

10. ~Candy~

Have you tried removing the sound devices (everything under them as well) via device manager, then without rebooting, do a hardware refresh and see what Windows puts back.

11. ~Candy~

Did you ever solve this problem?

12. LostGamer

LostGamer Thread Starter

Yeah, everything sorta fixed itself when the new hard drive came.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice