Solved: Hard Drive Makes computer restart

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stryker23

The problem is that when i plug in a hard drive the computer cuts off in a few seconds. The power led and hdd led stay on but everything else shuts off. I have to completely turn off the p/s by the switch to get it to start again. This had been happening for awhile but it would only do it once and then it would start and run fine. I bought a new hdd as an upgrade and i tried to run it but whenever it was plugged in it constantly made the computer turn off. I tried to use the old hdd but it does the same now. Whenever they are not plugged in the computer boots and posts fine. I figure this is the p/s, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything thing else i should check or worry about. So any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to get the wrong part. Thanks in advance--

You don't say...so please clarify...you are refering to a USB or Firewire connected Drive???

If NOT, you should not be doing this! :eek:

stryker23

winbob said:
You don't say...so please clarify...you are refering to a USB or Firewire connected Drive???

If NOT, you should not be doing this! :eek:
Sorry about not responding earlier. I was talking about and IDE hard drive. Plugging it into the motherboard. I guess its not the best terminology to use. Anyways I went ahead and bought the new p/s and everything booted up great after that. I just had to go through setting up the new hard drive from the old one. Didn't work out exactly how i planned it to but i got it up and running almost like the old none the less.

Thanks for replying...

An IDE drive plugged directly into a motherboard controller is not "HOT Plug'able". :eek:

You are likely to destroy components if you do this....Power OFF First, then connect or disconnnect the component. :rolleyes:

stryker23

I never mean't I plugged it in while it was on. All i mean't was after i hooked it up with the ""power off and disconnected"" then tried to turn it on it would turn off in a few seconds. I didn't know i had to clarify how i hooked it up. I guess I am just bad at explaining things. Either way just to clarify your suspicions I thought i would reply.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OK, that's more like it. :D

Are you sure the cable isn't backwards on one of the connectors? Not all connectors are keyed, and a backwards cable on an IDE channel will cause such a problem.

stryker23

IDE cables I have are keyed and I tried more than one cable. It works now that I have bought a new p/s. I figured I would have to sooner or later. The one I was using was an RMA replacement for the one that came in the case which was DOA. Anyways I marked this solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online