1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive not recognised

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by abi900, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abi900

abi900 Thread Starter

Jan 25, 2011
    Recently my computer has been running very slow. I haven't recently downloaded or installed anything, it was just all of a sudden.
    I ran AVG and disk defragmenter but it did not help. I have 2 hard drives. C drive which has the operating system installed on it and D drive that has all my files (music, photos, video).
    Whenever I tried to open D drive it took almost a minute for it to open and it was the same for every folder on the drive.
    This was happening for the last 3 or 4 days and then just before I tried to open D drive and got the error telling me that the drive wasn't formatted and asked me if i wanted to format it. I clicked no as I didn't want to lose my files by formatting and restarted the pc and now it's not showing at all in 'my computer'.
    I checked the device manager and disk management and it's not showing up on that either
    How can I get my computer to recognise the drive again without losing my files?
    Computer is running Windows

Just got a error message saying,
    Windows - Corrupt File
    Exception processing message.

After some more research, I think my hard drive has died. If so, is there any way I can recover files off a dead hard drive?
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065524