1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive not recognized by BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnnieq, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

AMD Athlon 2200+ with 256MB of DDR Ram.
    Biostar M7VIQ motherboard
    60GB hard drive
    DVD-ROM
    DVD-RW

Computer has been starting erratically for awhile. Sometimes it will start., other times it fails and says "HARD DISK NOT FOUND..."

I think the hard drive it finished. With power on I do not feel that 'gyro' effect you normally feel from spinning platters in a good drive.

So I tried a brand new 80GB hard drive. After numerous reboots the BIOS finally recognized it. I was then able to install WinXP. When installation was complete, I did a few Windows updates. Now I'm getting "HARD DISK NOT FOUND..." message again.

Thinking the motherboard battery could be failing, I tried a new one. Made no difference.

I tried new IDE cables. Made no difference.

I set BIOS settings all to default settings. Made no difference. Tried optimized settings. Same thing.

I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

PS: Bootup each time is EXTREMELY slow.

2. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

DOH!

I'm an idiot. I removed the jumper from the new drive (not listed in jumper options) and it is seen every time by the BIOS.

Boots normal speed also...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice