1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hard drive or motherboard/chipset?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by help me please, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help me please

help me please Thread Starter

ok, first, i have one 300gb maxtor IDE (6l300r0), and a seagate barracuda SATA (st3160023as), the maxtor is connected to the primary master ide, and the seagate is connected to the VIA_8237 chipset SATA raid controller on-board the MB (ASUS K8V-VIA_K8T800), the drivers are all up to date for the entire computer, and windows is fully updated (always-on connection). now to the problem, the seagate SATA drive (D: drive), during use, causes the entire system to stutter, and after prolonged use, such as a large file transfer between drives causes the entire system to freeze, EVERYTHING comes to a halt, power is still provided to the system (fans etc) and the only way to power off is to hold the power switch. all i need to know is: could the SATA controller hardware be dying (the integrated audio has died)?, is it the hdd?, and would a SATA-to-ide adapter (SATA connector one side, IDE on the other) cause performance loss (i use this drive for games)?
    the sata is still in warranty, but the MB left warranty long ago (the shop that the computer came from went bust, and i have no packaging). thanks for the help in advance :D

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

The sata drive is a good prospect but look at the power supply first.

3. help me please

i probably should add that the other drive works fine, and this happened twice today while i was installing ut2004 to the D:-drive(from a dvd), also, what do you mean by a good prospect?
    also, i ran 'active SMART' and it informed me of this: (image attached) thats right, 90160 GB!

Attached Files:

4. help me please

disconnected all unnecessary equipment (fans, extra optical drives, lights, tv card and sound card) and it still happens, worse than before. that leaves the hardware (HDD or SATA controller) since the software has been replaced several times. any ideas?

5. help me please

started happening on the ide drive too, even when the sata is disconnected. does anyone have any ideas?, is it the psu or the mb?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ok let me try again with more graphic wording.
    The power supply on this system is a $19.99 bargain beauty of 300 watts? Or maybe it is 6 years old and has been in 7 systems? I will bet it isn't an Antec, Enermax or Thermaltake brand of at least 400 watts? When I take systems in trade or rebuild for a client, the first thing I do is open the case, take out the 4 screws holding the abortive psu I find in about 92% of pc's and trash it....does this perhaps paint a better picture of what I see as a possibility here?

7. help me please

ok, so hows about this one http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/power_supply/hp-550.asp , or maybe this one http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=271185&source=froogle , or maybe this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256008 . i used this review to look them up http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardwarecanuck-reviews/695-skymtls-500w-sub-105-psu-roundup.html and the 3 you suggeat dont hold up well to these. also, mine is a jeantec jn120f-450-ap with pfc. and the thing being that sometimes, like right now, it works fine.

8. Lil Chris

Lil Chris

that blue storm should be ok that or a enermax,antec, seasonic.

9. help me please

are there any ways that i can be sure that it is the psu? because i am a student on a tight budget and dont want to/can not make a needless purchase that does not fix it. i really like the test results that the silverstone got here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...u-roundup.html do you think that thi9s is my safest bet?

10. help me please

well i pinpointed the problem, be ready for a shock you 'experts'....................
    it was a stick of ram that had turned bad. a 'crucial' 256 MB ddr 400 stick of ram. now that i have removed it i have a 215Mhz speed on the memory (430ddr) and it works better than it has ever done before. a message to everyone, check everything before buying new stuff. remove all unnecessary components, and go to the bare minimum amount of ram that you can. if it still does not work try a different stick of ram (if you have one). if it still goes wrong, then think about what else could be wrong.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice