1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ziipii, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ziipii

ziipii Thread Starter

Hi,
    I REALLY hope someone out there can help me with this!

I have a failed hard drive/ stuffed partion, and i DESPERATELY need the data from it!

A computer was brought into me with two hard drives. The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive, and to leave the second hard drive alone (its his backup drive with all his photos, movies etc) I was working away as per usual, when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer. Well it was, but not correctly. whenever i clicked on it it said 'would you liket to format the drive?' obviously, i didnt want to do that.

I ran Partition Magic 8.0 which showed the drive was only 8Gigs (it should have been 1T or 1000Gigs) Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it. I agreed, however there was no change.

I've run a number of programs to try and fix the drive:
    Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0
    Partition Table Doctor 3.5 Demo
    Dtidata Partition Repair Tool
    MHDD
    Recover My Files v3.98
    FileScavenger.

However, all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only 8 Gigs, and they can go no further. All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for 8 Gigs, and thus, i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos.

The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as 33Gigs?

I really REALLY need the data from this drive! Does anyone know how to fix my problem?

Thanx heaps in advance,

Ben

2. pfiltz

pfiltz

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

3. ziipii

ziipii Thread Starter

Will do pfiltz. Thanks for your suggestion & ill write back how i go

4. ziipii

ziipii Thread Starter

:) pfiltz,
    Cheers for the ZAR suggestion. it didn't work, but was worth the try. ZAR is quite a comprehensive data restoration program though. i will keep it for future reference. (the problem with ZAR was, i coudln't over-ride the 8Gig HD it was incorrectly detecting, and set it as a 1T(or 1000Gig) .. so it was only scanning the first 8gigs of 1000Gigs. Hence, it couldn't scan for the files i was missing:

HOW I FIXED IT:
    Step 1:
    I first tried Seagate SEATOOLS
    http://freewareapp.com/seagate-seatools_download/
    Which is a freeware app that can be used on any hard drive (not just Seagate) you burn the ISO to a CD.. boot up in DOS and run the utility program. unfortunately, although it could see an 8Gig Hard Drive with a 1000Gig Partition?? *Sound strange?!*.. it couldnt fix it.

Step 1:
    I visited Samsungs home page www.samsung.com & downloaded the diagnostic software for my hard drive model HD103UJ . Just like with the Seatools program above, you download and ISO image to your PC, burn a CD & boot into it.

VOLLA! IT WORKED!!! YEAH!! SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY!

If anyone else out there is having similar difficulties, please feel free to email me with extra questions. I'm always happy to help.

junk @ ziipii.com (NO SPACES) the spaces are only in there to avoid spammers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice